1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

92 idles very rough, smokes, and has no power.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 idles very rough, smokes, and has no power.

I just picked up a 1992 5spd Extra cab 1 ton cab/chassis. It starts and had idled like it was misfiring, shaking like the motor mount was broken and smoking blue. I filled up the tank with fresh diesel and drove it about 100 miles, when I got to my destination I changed the fuel filter and oil/filter. It seems to run a bit smoother now but the whole truck still shakes when idling and smokes no matter if its idling or driving down the road. The truck also has absolutely no power at all, I know they aren't fast stock but this one is slower then it should be. The truck is all stock with no modifications at all. I took the air filter out to see if that was the problem but it doesn't help and also you can't hear the turbo at all until it gets to the top of each gear and then it seems to move like it should. I took off the air intake tube to see if the turbo is spinning and it is. I shut the truck off to check out the turbo, it doesn't have any shaft play and seems to spin alright. My first guess is a bad turbo but I'm just guessing, hopefully someone has had a similar problem and can give me some advice.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 02:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Try bleeding ur injector lines? If it's not that maybe a bad injector cause to me it sounds like a fueling problem not a turbo problem right now in my truck I'm in the middle of a motor swap and I don't have my intercooler so my turbo isn't hooked up and my motor still pers all I'm saying is it doesn't sound like a turbo problem at all

Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by cumminsblazer
Try bleeding ur injector lines? If it's not that maybe a bad injector cause to me it sounds like a fueling problem not a turbo problem right now in my truck I'm in the middle of a motor swap and I don't have my intercooler so my turbo isn't hooked up and my motor still pers all I'm saying is it doesn't sound like a turbo problem at all
Ok thanks, how would you suggest that I test each injector?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The smoke could be a mis adjusted pump and if its bone stock then they are slower than molasses in Antartica. You could have a lift pump going out and not getting enough fuel to the IP. Just spit ballin some ideas.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

try running the overhead. its pretty simple and who knows when the last time it was done if ever

Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by cumminskid92
try running the overhead. its pretty simple and who knows when the last time it was done if ever
Running the overhead? What is that?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

He means adjusting your valves. There should be something in the sticky about how to do it. I'm thinking valves and/or injectors for the rough running. Neither of those should make you burn oil though, so maybe there's more than one problem. Do you know how much blowby you've got? If not, have the engine running and go underneath it. there's a little plastic tube on the drivers side, (I think?!). Stick your nose up to that, or just put your hand under it and see if you're getting much, if any, gas coming out of it. If there's a lot, your rings are worn and you'll need to get a new set. If there's nothing or not much, we'll have to dig a bit deeper.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Default 3Dodge

Hi -- The rough idle and smoke may be two different problems. I have the same rough idle on my 91. No smoke though. And when you give it a little throttle it runs like new. Goes down the road perfectly but when you stop at a light the shaking is terrible. I checked all the mounts, valve adjustment,injectors, interference between the exhaust and frame, and fuel filters. The only thing I haven't checked (or should I say paid to have checked since I don't know how to do it) is the injection pump. It might be wearing out since the truck is almost rounding the 400,000 mi. mark. I don't know if any of this will help you but I hope so. If I can find out something I'll get back to you. Good Luck --Bart

Old 02-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

I was thinking on this last night, and when I posted yesterday I thought of it but forgot to write it. You could be sucking air into your fuel somewhere. It might sound stupid, but make sure you haven't double-gasketed your fuel filter. Check all connections and lines from the tank on forward. Even a tiny little hole will wreak havoc. The easy way to figure this one out, is to get a gallon or so of good clean fuel and bypass the lift pump and filter, feeding fuel via a hose straight in to the injection pump. If your truck runs smooth, you've just solved your problem. If not, keep looking!

Another good idea is 3Dodge's. The O-rings in the IP will only last so long as they were made of rubber designed to be lubricated with high sulphur fuel. Now we use ULSD those o-rings wear a mite faster, as well as various other moving parts.