1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

P-Pump Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Default P-Pump Swap

So over my Christmas break from school i did a P-pump swap on the '92. It went fairly smooth and my only bump was getting a 2nd gen lift pump to work with my stock cam. im not sure if there is a difference but i broke 1 from cummins(made in China) and local autoparts store brand. they worked for awhile and then gave up. So airdog it was and after that it ran perfect. Here is the link to my pictures if anyone is interested.

P7100 Series Swap | Facebook

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Another thing i did different compared to the thread in the sticky is i used my old throttle linkage, since my donor engine was out of a fedex truck. I welded the throttle cable bracked to the frame rail and using the same ball and stud rod was able to control my throttle.

Last edited by kieron_kohlmann; 01-18-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job! It came out really clean

Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts

Nice job dude! How ya likin p-pump world?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice job bud!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EasternAggie
Nice job dude! How ya likin p-pump world?
It has it benefits and its downfalls. obviously anytime you re-engineer something in your garage that took a professionals countless hours and million of dollars to design the first time, your asking for problems. Having said that its a huge pump size wise. a lot harder to time and a lot harder to start. from a performance stand point, i need to do some fine tuning, and being in wisconsin its hard to get traction even in 4wd to see what she has. From what i feel so far im excited to start dialing it in more when it gets a tad warmer.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann
It has it benefits and its downfalls. obviously anytime you re-engineer something in your garage that took a professionals countless hours and million of dollars to design the first time, your asking for problems. Having said that its a huge pump size wise. a lot harder to time and a lot harder to start. from a performance stand point, i need to do some fine tuning, and being in wisconsin its hard to get traction even in 4wd to see what she has. From what i feel so far im excited to start dialing it in more when it gets a tad warmer.
Yeah I hear you on the traction. I can't imagine living that far north, heck even in NE OK where I'm at now, they get significantly more snow and ice than I did in SE OK, and its keepin me from driving my truck too much right now

Are the VE pumps easier to start than the P-pumps?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

VE pumps have an advance piston on the side that advance the pump to allow for easier starting. P-pumps dont. Nothing starts like a first gen. half crank start any day. Theres a reason why 2nd gen trucks have 2 batteries.....

Old 01-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Diesel Bomber

Hmmmm interesting. I still think 2nd gen 12v's come in second overall in the diesel world on easiness to start

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

so to answer the performance question all i can say is WOW. i never thought a truck could pull like this. it is a little ridiculous how quick it goes, but man its sure fun. Once i get it dialed in a little better ill bring it to the track and see what she turns.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Diesel Bomber

Keep us updated guy

Quick Reply: P-Pump Swap