1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

My first post ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first post ever

First THANK YOU ALL !!! You've been my greatest asset w/ my truck .
Now my ? . I put in a bd fuel pin after turning my factory pin . Seems the power went to the top end & my top speed went up . But All the power from my bottom end is gone & it only seems to smoke at full throtle . Any sugestions on tuning the factory pump to get the power don to lower to mid range level ? O & the mid range of my right foot seems almost like a dead spot .

Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

first...

Which pin did you turn?

To tune your pin put a small amount of greese on the face of it, run the truck around for a while getting it up to full boost a couple times. Pull teh pin and look at the witness mark to see how much travel you are getting. Adjust you smoke screw so that it just gets to teh deepest part of teh pin under full boost.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Diesel Fan

So the smoke screw will act as a depth gauge to keep the pin at the deepest part of the cut . If i may ask one more part of the equation . will it help at this point to adjust the star wheel all the way down or should that wait till the smoke screw part of adjustment feels to have better response ?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

The smoke screw and star wheel really wont help you with any of that. I would adjust your smoke screw so it is working proper and then if you want you can bottom your star wheel. Look in the sticky and you will find a good thread about tuning the pump.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Diesel Fan

I'll go to now thanx for the help .