1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Clogged Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clogged Injectors?

So after i put in my new fuel pin and 3200 rpm spring, I took my truck for a test drive. It had mad *****, and smoked like no other (on the first run). Since then, it has been smoking less and less, and I have a very noticable power loss since the first run. Now it doesnt smoke at all, and the only power I have is just as the turbo spools, then it seems to die out a bit. The truck is harder to start than it used to be, and I almost wanna say its running rougher than it did before the mods. I am currently running injector cleaner in the fuel, and its been driven about 1000 miles (or less) since filter changes. Are my injectors clogged to kingdom come from blacking out the sun on my first test run? Or is there something else I could be missing? Did a boost leak test and couldnt find anything. Should I double check?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing man. Noticeable power loss and less smoke. Im just as confused as you.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the fuel screw backing out, i think thats what mine did because my truck doesnt run as good as it did when i turned it up.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Lift pump.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

p-pump it ha ha big bad diesel told me to tell yaw that just kiddin get ur injectors pop tested, check fuel pressure, fuel filter

Last edited by blazier18; 11-29-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

See thats what im thinkin blazier18. When im driving i can hear a ticking noise. Sounds like an exhaust leak. But i put my finger on one of the fuel lines and and i can feel weird surges...

Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Diesel Bomber

hmm first when is the last time u changed ur fuel filter? and if it sounds like exhaust leak but no fuel is comin out around ur injectors then its not fuel. are those stock injectors? how many miles on them? and ticking beats me that could be anything. i could help u out alot better if i drove it ya know what i mean. my buddy has a 91 and i tuned on it a little and it will act up everynow and then like it looses power but it has 500k miles on the same injectors. and if ur air filter is clean it will smoke less with more power. but smokem seems to know his stuff. do u have gauges wats ur fuel pressure?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Stock injectors, one actually leaks and its the one that makes the ticking noise. Dont have gauges yet.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Diesel Bomber

i dont have them either if one is leakin then that oring is gone or cracked which will get air and make u loose power no question about it. which means u need a washer and oring kit idk wat its called though. (the kit) anyways which your gonna need to pull them. first take your lines off then loosen the nuts on the injectors rite where they go in. u can get a injector puller if u want i just used a lug nut off my wheel then a 3/4 wrench under it and knocked it real good bcuz there gonna be stuck pretty good in there. once u pull them all theres gonna be copper washers on the bottom make sure they come up too. take them to a diesel shop its gonna be about 4 dollars each injector to have them pop tested. they can tell u if there poppin good or not. if they are then justget new copper washers and rubber orings. put them back in the nut is torqued to 44 lbs next put ur lines back on from the pump first tighten the lines on the pump side first then hand tighten them on the injectors. have somebody crank ur motor over till fuel is comin out of the lines like it should be then tighten them all down a little more then snug. see wat that does. go ahead and change your fuel filter if u aint within 5000 miles. next if u have a stock air filter just get a new one. i got a box and bhaf for mine helps out alot and easy to clean. since u aint gotta fuel pressure gauge gonna be kinda hard to say its the lift pump. if wat i told u aint the problem dont hold nuthin against me bud justtryin to give u some ideas

Old 11-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Alrighty! Thanks for the info! Haisley Machine is bout a half hour away from me ill have them check em out.

Quick Reply: Clogged Injectors?