1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

R my injectors bad??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by countryboy8491
you can take the injectors to an injector shop and have them test them or you can take them out and put them back on the lines and turn the motor over and see if fuel comes out but put do this one at a time and put a piece of paper a couple od inches under the injector tip the fuel should spray a star patern on the paper if it dosent or no fuel comes out the injectors are bad
If you do this be careful. The injector spray cut cut your skin. over 2000 psi if I'm not mistaken.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i kinda had the same problem. sent a pump out to get rebuilt. by the time i got it back and had the time to reinstall it, it was about a month. couldnt get it to run. i have a timing guage so it was st correct. just couldnt get it bled out. blew air through the tank and it was sucking air between the fuel heater and head. fixed that got it to run but it had a miss. messed with it for about 2 days and figured out the #6 injector was stuck open and putting air back into the system. changed it and it ran like a champ.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i just had the same thing happen to me checked and cracked the lines primed it bled the lines still wouldnt start i mean wracked my brain on what to do had lots of fuel coming out of the return line and i was startin to get purty mad i mean i checked everything and it turns out that my fuel solinoid shut off wire was unplugged so i put it back on and got in my truck and it fired right back up like nothing had happened you porbably checked this butt im just saying sometimes its something really simple that you just keep looking over good luck on fixing your truck man

Old 10-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya I checked the fuel shut off and just pulled it out.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Id take the injector out and see if it sprays. I had the same problem with mine where it wouldnt start but i would get fluid at the injectors. Turns out my injection pump was bad but the pump was still pushing fluid to the injectors. Just not enough pressure to make them open.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:41 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann
Id take the injector out and see if it sprays. I had the same problem with mine where it wouldn't start but i would get fluid at the injectors. Turns out my injection pump was bad but the pump was still pushing fluid to the injectors. Just not enough pressure to make them open.
DO NOT DO THIS!!! YOU WILL HURT YOURSELF!!!
Guys this is a bad idea, as said in another post the pressure on these thing WILL cut you and inject diesel into your blood stream which can KILL you!

Send your injectors to a local pump shop for a tune up. Even if thats not the issue I can guarantee that the pop pressures are WAY off on them. You will have the piece of mind that they are fine and your truck will run better anyway.

Also a bad cut off soilinoid will put fuel to the injectors but wont pop them.

Try running a clear piece of hose from your filter outlet to your injection pump (you will need some copper barbs and what not) run teh truck and look for air bubbles.