1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Paint

The clear coat on mine is peeling pretty bad and some of the grey is fading. Other than that, its not too bad, no rust on the body or anything, but i wanted to paint it a new color. I dont want to throw down $2k to get it repainted, so i was gonna sand it and prep it myself, then have a friend paint it for me. Any tips, suggestions on the best way to go about prepping it and color and stuff like that anyone think would look good? I was thinking Black with red trim, and my buddy is trying to talk me into red with black trim, but im open to ideas.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Red with black trim.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How to Paint Your Car, Enthusiast Auto Body Discussion Forum & Videos

The above link is a good place to visit and should get you in the right direction as far as prepping and painting your truck. Basically, the more time you spend in prepping the truck, the better it will come out.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Diesel Fan

Oh ya i just thought of this... So if I change the color of my truck, will I have to get it changed on the title too? Or should i just not say anything since I don't ever plan on selling it?

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann
Red with black trim.
I think that would look pretty good. Ill browse google and see if i can find a similar paint job.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Edahall
How to Paint Your Car, Enthusiast Auto Body Discussion Forum & Videos

The above link is a good place to visit and should get you in the right direction as far as prepping and painting your truck.
Thanks for link, but its just trying to sell me DVDs on how to do it. I'll do some more research.

Last edited by Thekingrulz69; 09-30-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

im only 18 but been doin body work a few days theres a few steps on fixing a dent.
1 find the dent of course
2 grind to the metal (and two inches around the dent)
3 mix and spread your bondo (dont get bodyfiller like at oriellys. go to a paint store and get keystone
4 let ur bondo dry but not all the way takes 5 minutes depending on how much hardner and the heat out side. but cheesegrade the bondo but not to much leave it high still.
5 after it hardens sand with 40 grit front to back almost level the bondo but still leaving it high a little
6. 80 grit sand it to get the 40 grit scratches out and thats when u start rubbing ur hand over it to make sure its level not low and not high.
7. featheredge sand around ur bondo on the metal and paint to get the scratches out buy a da sander and use 180 if ur goin to primer and block or 220 if ur not.
8. primer over the bondo and metal at least two good layers.
9 after primer dries 20 minutes wet sand with 220 primer again then wet sand with 400 and thats how to fill a dent and prep it. i threw some steps in the other ones but u get the point. anyways 220 or 320 sand with a da the whole truck or u can get a scuff pad i prefer the red ones. anything u dont want scratched or scuffed i would tape off or remove it. after u have sanded all the truck (do not go to metal everywhere) just smooth it all u have to do is get the clearcoat dull or off. any metal places after sanding u need to primer and 400 wet sand if it wasn't a dent. tape up all windows with the green maskin tape dont get purple and dont use news paper to cover stuff. get real masking paper. if all the truck is sanded all dents filled and primered over and everything taped up ur ready for final prep. make sure u tape inside the door jams on the rubber seals. and under the hood. after everything is ready. get degreaser for painting. wipe the whole truck down where ur goin to paint then tack rag it very softly being sure not to get glue on the surface. last step be sure to wet the floor down good for less dust and buffing after u paint. sorry for writing a book and im sure i missed something out on doing body work and prepping it but i was just giving u a basic idea on how to do it and for the most part be done the right way so ull be happy after u paint ur truck. if u do single stage enamel after u get however many coats u wont let it dry then sand with 1200 then degrease it and spray two coats of clear on that talk about a shiny paint job. i wish i had pics of the trucks and cars and some tractors i done from day 1 till they were done. but good luck man hope it turns out rite. and dont grind paint off your hood dont use bondo on it niether theres a smooth puddy like somethin u use and wet sand it smooth.

The following users liked this post:
92dodge (11-10-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thekingrulz69

Thanks for link, but its just trying to sell me DVDs on how to do it. I'll do some more research.
Click on Forums

How to Paint Your Car, Enthusiast Auto Body Discussion Forum & Videos • Index page • AutoBody101.com

Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

green with orange trim, and a purple tailgate

Old 10-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

purple tailgate? na dont do that at all. im a silver guy but its up to u. i like the red and white first gens

Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Diesel Fan

well i know your not gonna want to hear this but you picked the two most expensive colors on the market. bought a gal of black, clear and catalyst and reducer and dropped 500 easy. and dont forget bout all the tools to make it easier d.a. sanders line sander. also dont forget the primer and dif grits of sand paper and all your tape and paper. by the time i finished painting mine i figured up the cost and was still rite at 2000. o yeah i would also check into a spray in bed liner to help out if theres rust in the bed i used a product called armour liner. good luck hope it turns out good

Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Diesel Fan

>_< Well do you think that if I have to drop 2k to do it myself, should I just get it done prefessionally? Either way it would be worth it. But I just ran into some other problems on my truck and have to pay for that first so I dont think i'll be able to get around to the paint for awhile but im looking foreward to it.

Quick Reply: New Paint