1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Hotrod VE

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

that depends a little on how much power u want. of course when it comes right down to it if u go too far with either one or anything else for that matter ur gonna have some added headaches along the way. if u want good streetabilty especially for towing ur gonna have to stay away from radical governor springs for starters, which is gonna hurt u at the track. and tell me if im wrong guys but i think that is gonna go for either pump. if u want a hot rod tow truck i think ur bigger emphasis needs to be on turbos not the pump. an hx40 or any hybrids of it as well as h1e, ect are no where near capable of handling the fuel a turned up stock ve can put out. i even have stock injectors. there is just no substitute for sufficient air supply and free flowing exhaust and that all starts with the turbos.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iam pretty happy with the old ve would kinda like to put a p pump on my truck but I like a challenge. When I bought my truck it was a dog, turned the pump up, from right under the firewall back I have 5" exhaust. Put a new air filter on it and it is a completely different truck now. I am pretty sure I speak for alot of us here once you turn it up and see the difference it is over you can't stop. When I get to a point where it looks like the ve is no longer going to do the job then I will go to the p pump. But for now I am going to stick with it.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH
no KTA is having someone else building them from what ive read over at cumminsforum.com, i REALLY want a 14mm pump LOL, but ive heard great and ive heard horrible about the 14mm, i will just send them my pump and have them build it. i got my F450 to tow with now so i probably wont be using the cummins that much anymore so it will be a race truck now LOL.
ive heard that the 14mm pump just burns out faster. now if we could just make it last?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 89silverbullet
ive heard that the 14mm pump just burns out faster. now if we could just make it last?
Add some 2 cycle oil to the fuel to help keep it lubed up...

Old 11-12-2008, 04:41 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
Add some 2 cycle oil to the fuel to help keep it lubed up...
Helps, but still wont get to the reliabilty of the 12mm pump. RPM's kill the 14mm...