1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tuning Question

I have my 93 finally up and running and seems to be running a little rough at low rpm's. If I put my foot into it a little it has plenty of power, just if I drive like my dad (a small town old-timer) it seems to run rough and will almost have have to same egt's if I keep the rpm's higher.

So trying to think of what adjustment would make the most difference. So far the only thing I can think of that would help out would be to retard the timing. It is set at the stock mark currently but I do have the timing spacer in. So would there be any problems with retarding the timing a little? Or is there some other adjustment that would help me out other than timing?

Sorry for the long message, just trying to make sure I have all the info in there.
And any knowledge from previous experience is greatly appreciated.

Jason

Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

As I was reading the symptoms, I was thinking, 'timing.' But you say it's set at stock so it shouldn't be that. Even so... What else have you done to the truck? You said it's up and running again, so why wasn't it running before? What'd you have to do to get it running again? Need more info in order to trouble shoot better.
If anything, I'd be advancing the timing a bit. See what happens, and it's not going to hurt anything. (Famous last words? ) I know Thomas says to keep the timing stock when running his spacer, but try it and see what happens anyway.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

KD93 is right we need more info to properly trouble shoot your vehicle. right now it sounds like it could be anything. do the usual checks Fuel and air filters. add some Marvel mystery oil if it is a fuel related problem. If your a purist Stanadyne is excellent. It could also be the pump not working at the low idle so you might want to pressure check it? to many ifs on such little info.
Thanks for starting this thread and asking a question. and don't hesitate to put in some info! there might be a few that don't like long winded posts, however in your case; Info is key to getting you happy with your Rig!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well last week it had a little hikup, pulled out of my drive way and went to accelerate into trafic and it cut out and lost all power and started a real bad lope at idle. When I pushed on the pedal a little it would smooth out a little but still run rough. Come to find out it was the throttle rod adjusted to short and was not resting all the way on the high idle screw, so the lever that rests on the hight idle was loose and had slop in it. I lenghtened the trottle rod and adjusted the high idle screw, now it runs good but the idle seems high in park, but sounds good while in drive. Now the low end ecceloration seems rough at light pedal, but clears up if i get into it a little better........ And now I feel slightly stupid, I think I have just answered where the problem is. Must be something to do bwith the adjustment on the top of the pump where the throttle lever is. Just dont now what the levers do exactly and what adjustment is going to help.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Alright, just went out and too a peek at it with the motor running and noticed that the lever that rests on the high idle that has the bolt with the adjustment on it, the little 10mm bolt is loose. So what do these do and how do I adjust them to fix my problem?

Last edited by pewder; 08-07-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Diesel Bomber

If I was you, I'd take the high idle screw completely off and make it go away permanently! There may or may not be pictures in the sticky, (I haven't looked) but you can find a few good 'tune-up' vids for the VE on Youtube.
I'm kinda surprised your idle seems better in drive. Mine is a little low to my liking, but I haven't the courage or patience to tackle that damned idle screw! Idle in P is kind of like a high idle in a Class 7/8, so you can run it for an extended period and not get sludge build up.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well the idle screw doesn't bother me, and I have looked into tuning and read up on tuning. Just looing for the guys that have done it a lot that could tell me witch adjustment would be the likely problem so i'm not throwing my adjustments way out of wack.

So far,
-star wheel is about 1 turn away from bottomed out
-got !maybe! a 1/4 turn on the full fuel screw and then it bottomed out on the collar ( I have no clue how in the hell you guys get that thing off!)
-have no clue where in the hell the smoe screw is compared to stock, had to pull the whole thing out to chase the threads cuz the nut got locked up on the screw.
-i have a timing shim and m4 fuel pin with a 3200 gov spring

It really seems lie this thing hates the low rpm's and wors hard to go no where unless ya shove the pedal to the floor then she goes good but seems to not get up and go down the highway either, infact it feels like it actually will cut out under really heavy accel on they highway, and the highest EGT i've seen is 1100, but have seem 20-25 lbs of boost. This mornigs I was heading north pullin a few hills and egts kept right bout 800 but jump up to 900 for a sec when I was givin it the pedal for a sec.

But it seeming to cut out on the hightway is seeming a little weird, noticed the lift pump leaing a lil this morning tho.

What do you guys think?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am really curoius to hear what you find out. I have the exact same problem at idle, in fact the idle raises and lowers as it sits in park. That being said my problem occured as soon as I installed the 3200 gov spring. I have adjusted the idle tirelessly to no improvement. I do have a problem with the "top hat" assembly, and I have another one to replace it with. For know I am attributing my problem to that, and that possibly the stiffer spring is causing a something not to work properly in there.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by pewder
Well the idle screw doesn't bother me, and I have looked into tuning and read up on tuning. Just looing for the guys that have done it a lot that could tell me witch adjustment would be the likely problem so i'm not throwing my adjustments way out of wack.

So far,
-star wheel is about 1 turn away from bottomed out
-got !maybe! a 1/4 turn on the full fuel screw and then it bottomed out on the collar ( I have no clue how in the hell you guys get that thing off!)
-have no clue where in the hell the smoe screw is compared to stock, had to pull the whole thing out to chase the threads cuz the nut got locked up on the screw.
-i have a timing shim and m4 fuel pin with a 3200 gov spring

It really seems lie this thing hates the low rpm's and wors hard to go no where unless ya shove the pedal to the floor then she goes good but seems to not get up and go down the highway either, infact it feels like it actually will cut out under really heavy accel on they highway, and the highest EGT i've seen is 1100, but have seem 20-25 lbs of boost. This mornigs I was heading north pullin a few hills and egts kept right bout 800 but jump up to 900 for a sec when I was givin it the pedal for a sec.

But it seeming to cut out on the hightway is seeming a little weird, noticed the lift pump leaing a lil this morning tho.

What do you guys think?
That's the majority of your worries right there. Funny you mentioned it, as this time when I was reading your post I was thinking, 'fueling problem.' If the LP is leaking, you may be sucking air in too. Check your fuel pressure if you can, and see what you're getting. Also, check your fuel filter if you haven't already. Sounds simple, but I've been told over and again, "Do the easy things first."
The settings on the pump are personal preference as much as anything else. You can dial it in to make it respond the best for your driving style. There is no right or wrong setting, and tinkering with it a little, then test driving it, will teach you as much as reading an article on it. Just do one thing at a time though, so you know how that adjustment changes things. If you do it all at once, you won't know what to adjust if you don't like it.