1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

OEM Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OE Ball Joints

Well to make a long story short, i replaced my upper and lower ball joints about three months ago. Well for the last week or two i have noticed something funny in my steering. I thought it needed an alignment again since i hit a big hole in the road a month or so back. Well got it aligned yesterday and i watched the guys check the ball joints and said they were fine and then proceeded to align it as it was out of adjustment. Well it still didn't drive quite right and was going to make an appointment monday as they were booked up today and got about 20' from my parking spot at the house and the bottom ball joint sheered off on the drivers side and drove my tire into my fender Well at least i know what the problem was now to go about fixing it and this time with a higher grade ball joint not oem and the guys at advanced probably dont care for me right now since i talked to them 5 minutes after it happened. Just thought i would share my pain, how would you guys handle it, get new joints and ask for the manufacturer to cough up the money for the fender repair or what.

Last edited by regor; 07-09-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd do whatever I could to get a refund for all the joints. I'd even return the other 3 in used condition once they get replaced with better joints. Knowing that 1 gave up already, probably means the others aren't far behind. There's gotta be some sort of warranty behind them. After all, you bought them only 3 months ago. And for them to only last 3 months just isn't right. I rebuilt my front suspension back in January with all Moog parts and haven't had or even noticed any issue.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Diesel Fan

I talked to advanced and they said they would take all the others back as well and even maybe help on the price difference, but i would like my fender fixed as well i am going to get all there contact info on OE tomorrow when i pick up the other ball joint. I took pics of all the damage and will write them a nice letter and see what they say and if they will compensate me for my damages. I know it wasn't advanced fault but they did sale the defective part. I will see where this goes i guess

Old 07-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely! It should be covered and clearly noted somewhere in that warranty that any damage caused by a defective part should be compensated for in full. Actually, I would expect it to be in there. I believe you have a valid argument and things should work out in your favor. It's not like you took the truck out to a track and were taking hairpin turns at high speeds or anything.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Diesel Fan

I'm just glad it broke in the drive way and not 5 minutes earlier doing 55mph, i might not have been here talking to you if it had, i will see what they will do for me, i just want it the way it was before it broke uncrumpled fender that is, and peace of mind about driving it again

Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Diesel Fan

Well just got it back together and moved it out of the middle of my driveway, now i can take it apart again to do the others so this won't happen again, the moog ball joint is so much beefier then the oe brand and easier to press in as well. Advanced gave me 25% off of the new ball joint going to have them do it on all of them since they sold me an inferior product and see a lawyer about going after the company that made oe brand for damages