1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

need help and fast....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help and fast....

well, it started as a problem with my grid heater, so i tried fixing it today and all hell broke loose...

when i turn the key to the on position the wait to start light doesnt come on... once the truck is started then the WTS light comes on and stays on, i drove it this way for about a month and never got the chance to look at it till today... but it draws hard on the battery as we all know and i dont want to kill my alternator or battery...

so i took my relays apart today and cleaned all my contacts and made sure the relays worked... and everything seem fine until i put it all back together and went to fire it up and had no power to the ignition at all... the lights will turn on and stuff but the gauges do nothing and the truck wont crank,

so i giggled some wires around, and it cranks drove it 30 feet and it shut off... checked and made sure all my connections were tight, fired up and shut off another couple of feet down the road...

so im confused and lost and gotta go to work tomorrow, i need help bad!!!

thanks in advance

Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Diesel Fan

Check all of the fuesable links. You probably knocked something loose while messing with the heater relay.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 93fatbed
Check all of the fuesable links. You probably knocked something loose while messing with the heater relay.

the previous owner hacked the fuses off the wires and hard wired it... what else?

Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

check the 2 wires to the IP one goes to the shutoff solenoid the other to the KSB
bet thats it

here

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...-question.html

wires G and H

Last edited by big bad diesel 416; 07-08-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks BBD, do you know if the "brain box" for the grid heater relays would go bad if the relays were jumped to see if they clicked?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

doubt it its just 2 soleinoids

Brice

Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Diesel Fan

ok, i just dont see how the injection pump would keep the ignition from getting power to start the truck but ill check it out now

Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 12vcoalroller
ok, i just dont see how the injection pump would keep the ignition from getting power to start the truck but ill check it out now
We don't have an ignition thing as it were.

The fuel cut-off solenoid on the side of the injection pump is what turns the fuel on and off to the injection pump. With 12vdc to the solenoid, just bump the starter and the engine runs. Remove the 12vdc from the solenoid, and it stops the flow of fuel to the injection pump.

There's a very good chance your dinking around with the other wires that the 12vdc to the solenoid isn't making it. MANY times it's right there where the blue wire (12vdc ignition supply) connects to the solenoid.

. . . . some folks should really consider if their Sig is too big.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Diesel Fan

Opps I misunderstud when you said it wouldn't crank over. I thought you ment it wouldn't crank? Oh well sounds like you found the problem. Hope that's all it was/is!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by BC847
We don't have an ignition thing as it were.

The fuel cut-off solenoid on the side of the injection pump is what turns the fuel on and off to the injection pump. With 12vdc to the solenoid, just bump the starter and the engine runs. Remove the 12vdc from the solenoid, and it stops the flow of fuel to the injection pump.

There's a very good chance your dinking around with the other wires that the 12vdc to the solenoid isn't making it. MANY times it's right there where the blue wire (12vdc ignition supply) connects to the solenoid.

. . . . some folks should really consider if their Sig is too big.
If the fuel shutoff isn't working the starter will still turn it over won't it ?