1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Auto problems... First loud whirring, then no movement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:19 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto problems... First loud whirring, then no movement.

So first my overdrive stopped working, it started randomly shifting in/out of overdrive then no overdrive at all. I took it to a local trans shop and he told me it was the valve body, then this and that, he then told me my overdrive needed to rebuilt. Gears 1-3 worked flawlessly with no hesitation or problems of any kind.

I purchased a used tranny off of a member, it was supposedly a good working unit. I pulled the overdrive off of the used trans I purchased and installed it into my truck, even though it appeared to be in much worse shape then the one I pulled out because it was bright blue and the fluid was black. As soon as I installed it into the truck it would never shift into first without shifting it manually, then it wouldn't move unless I gave it half throttle then it seemed to catch an go. I drove it about 10 miles like this. I took my overdrive unit apart and inspected all of the clutches and they looked new. I went to the trans shop, told him the situation he said it had to be the overdrive. I brought it to him, he inspected it and said that it was in fact in good condition. I removed the used unit I purchased and reinstalled mine. I added 3 quarts of fluid (ATF+4) let it sit and idle, put it in neutral and checked the fluid and it was still all the way at the bottom of the dipstick. I added one more quart and it was good. I drove it about 15 miles since I put it back in. The trans started making a loud howling or whirring noise so I rechecked the fluid and now the dipstick says the trans is way overfilled. I made it back to my place and let it sit for the rest of the day. Today I go to drive it and it drove for 5 minutes or so then nothing, no noise, no sound, and no movement. It doesn't matter what gear its in or what I do the truck will not move. I turned it off, then started it up and it will move for about 5 seconds or so then nothing once again. It will do this repeatedly as long as I give it 30 seconds between starting it. Does anyone know what this problem is? I am ready to start this thing on fire and watch it burn so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

I bet your original OD problem was nothing more then a bad connection, computer, or TPS problem, all easy fixes. Or your pump took a crap on you. I hope putting what sounds like a messed up OD unit onto your tranny didn't toast it.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wow that sound really funky. first off im not sure ur checking the fluid level correctly every time. the truck needs to be kind of level first of all. then u need to set the parking brake or whatever so it doesnt start to roll and then put the shifter into neutral. this is so it charges the converter. if u check it in park it prob will appear over full. that being said, if u were/are checking it properly and it wasnt over full and u didnt add anymore and now it is overfull it must not be charging the converter properly. prob because either the filter is clogged and the pump cant get enough oil from the sump or the pump is shot and cant pump enough to do any good. note that a clogged filter is hard on the pump so it may be a combination. another thing would be if the valve body bolts have worked loose alowing lots of internal leaks. check it out and let us know and well try to help if we can.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by welderboy250
wow that sound really funky. first off im not sure ur checking the fluid level correctly every time. the truck needs to be kind of level first of all. then u need to set the parking brake or whatever so it doesnt start to roll and then put the shifter into neutral. this is so it charges the converter. if u check it in park it prob will appear over full. that being said, if u were/are checking it properly and it wasnt over full and u didnt add anymore and now it is overfull it must not be charging the converter properly. prob because either the filter is clogged and the pump cant get enough oil from the sump or the pump is shot and cant pump enough to do any good. note that a clogged filter is hard on the pump so it may be a combination. another thing would be if the valve body bolts have worked loose alowing lots of internal leaks. check it out and let us know and well try to help if we can.
Excellent advise Welderboy, I'll add get your hands on a appropriate Dodge truck service manual tons of good troubleshooting info there.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

on my 1st gen the same problem occured right after i got it it ended up being a bad wire almost rubbed in two but by the time i figured it out it was to late and ended up getting tranny rebuilt just like rswords said look for bad connections and other electrical problems also