1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Best Source for Compressor Wheel...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Source for Compressor Wheel...?

Hey Guys, Was going thru the 93 truck today playing under the hood...Wanted to verify Clean or Dirty Airfilter...When I pulled the Tube from airbox to turbo off, I noticed the Compressor wheel had something bang and grind against it......

I think I know when This happened about a week ago....Been driving ok since....I also Found a Random loose 5/16 nut inside the Air tube pinched in the ribs....It doesn't appear to be the Culprit...( no shiny spots...) but I pulled it out anyhow...Boost is still happening, but I don't want to run this with buggered Fins.....

End play on the shaft is good, Vertical is good, housing is good....What I am looking for is a Fresh Compressor Wheel....This is on a Stock Holeset H1C Turbo.....

What are going to be my best options...?

Thanks, John

Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

You are correct on nit running it! That thing spins so fast that if it is off balance it can (and will) explode. My suggestion would be just doing a 60mm sompressor housing or find a new/used turbo. Be a really good time to upgrade to a HX40!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Diesel Fan

Housing looks good, Was planning on trying to stay stock for now.....

BUT......????? What are the Inlet , outlet specs on the HX40...? and cost ...?

This truck currently has 3" straight pipe from turbo Back....Trying to keep money into this Truck at the Barest minimum....So I can sink it all into the 65 Crew Project this Summer.....
But I do need it drivable as a Tow rig till I tear it down.....

I hate kunundrums......

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

some times the part number is on the back side of the wheel, seen after it is removed from the shaft. if u have that or even all the numbers off the tag u should be able to call a cummins dealer and order a new one. otherwise find a used one. i have a spare that i think is usable.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have one too, if you're in a pinch, PM me. I reckon we can work something out.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks Guys, I am going to make some local calls tomorrow morning, and if Nothing turns up, I might take you up on one of your used pieces....

Let you know tomorrow....

Thanks, John.