1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

power steering fluid foaming and expanding

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default power steering fluid foaming and expanding

this just started happening the other day. when my truck is running the brakes wotn work and neither does the power steering (hydroboost brakes) and after a little bit it starts coming out of the top of the pump. it gets all foamy and goes everywhere kinda like putting liquid soap in a dishwasher. anyone ever heard of this? or better yet know how to fix it

Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Diesel Bomber

hmmm that sounds like the same thing. i remembered though i had to do some splices to make it work with my hydroboost. i only spliced onto the low pressure hoses and i had to tee 2 hoses into the return. do you think that might have soemthing to do with it? im figuring it has something to do with the hydroboost in there. i cant even turn the wheels to bleed it out i have 0 power steering at all

Old 12-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Its getting air in the system somewhere check for any noticable leaks start there and make sure all of the fittings and or hose clamps are tight start there it just has aerorated its self.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by blkjack
Its getting air in the system somewhere check for any noticable leaks start there and make sure all of the fittings and or hose clamps are tight start there it just has aerorated its self.
will that explain why the brake system and power steering system wont brake or turn the tires?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
will that explain why the brake system and power steering system wont brake or turn the tires?
Yes there is too much air in the system and it is not letting the hydraulics work as they should need to get the air out and kept out. And then you should be in business You may have to drain the fluid out and put fresh fluid in being that the old is aeorated.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

It should, its definitely got air in the P/S system. I didnt have anything as far as steering either, just got to muscle it over and hold it hard over each direction. It will get better as you go but its a bitch. Thought I was gonna break my steering wheel I was pullin on it so hard.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Diesel Bomber

alright ill mess with that tomorrow then and see what it does. i have lines everywhere so ill have to check all of them. i havent seen any leaks though so ill just tighten everything one by one

Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Diesel Bomber

Yea thats what i would do and after you check all of the fittings drain it and put fresh fluid in it too start there and see how she does.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with the '91 non-intercooled truck I used to own. I had to put a new steering box in it to solve the problem. I assumed there was some kind of blockage inside the pump that wouldn't allow the fluid to circulate, causing it to foam and spew out the filler cap on the pump.