1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Hey Smokem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts
Default Hey Smokem

Quick question for you weston. When I get on my truck real hard and then let off it quick I get a little puff of smoke when I let off. What is it from? You can see it here in this video in the 2nd and 3rd dyno pull.

A couple peopel have seen the same from there trucks... Any idea?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would think it is because you are pushing so much soot through the pipe and engine that when you let off the pedal it is the excess soot getting blown through the exaust pipe. I notice this too.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

I think your IP throttle index is off a little, such that you're actually going a little past fuel throttle when mashing the pedal to the floor. Mine did that when I modified my 3200 governor spring recently.

- Ultimately I moved the throttle linkage back to it's original location on the IP's throttle bell-crank in addition to fine-tuning the indexing.

Drive it around on a back road and get on it full throttle. As the engine winds up through the gears, back off the throttle a little bit to see if you can feel additional pull in the seat of the pants. I did.

Last edited by BC847; 12-06-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my truck does that every time i race a buddy, never seemed to hurt it thoe, an i dont hav a clue what it is.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by BC847
I think your IP throttle index is off a little, such that you're actually going a little past fuel throttle when mashing the pedal to the floor. Mine did that when I modified my 3200 governor spring recently.

- I moved the throttle linkage back to it's original location on the IP's throttle bell-crank.

Drive it around on a back road and get on it full throttle. As the engine winds up through the gears, back off the throttle a little bit to see if you can feel additional pull in the seat of the pants. I did.
i never reindexed my throttle so why does mine do it? only when i'm beaten the crap out of it

Last edited by seandonato73; 12-06-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Excess boost with no where to go causing the turbo to slow down and trap smoke for a second???? Kinda like a bark with out the noise??? My best guess.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by seandonato73
i never reindexed my throttle so why does mine do it? only when i'm beaten the crap out of it
Perhaps because you never re-indexed the throttle when you installed the 3200 governor spring.

I'm not saying it happens all the time, I'm saying we need to start looking a little harder at the index when we do goof around inside the IP.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

ehh indexing doesnt seem to hurt too bad. i've had the truck started w/o the bracket on to figure out the indexing where the truck would start and run... i've got my truck indexed one tooth from it bottoming out internally. i've never noticed mine do this tho. only thing i can think of is chattering of the injectors... just enough pressure to open but not correctly atomize? mine are still stock and both bobby and sean are running aftermarket injectors. i dont believe it has anything to do with the pump. last i knew i was 1/2 turn from run away. i know once you free spin it to 1500 it starts to climb in rpm's by itself and as stated b4 i've never noticed this. i do believe smokem is the man to talk to tho but injectors would be my hunch. plus VE's do a funny little thing; ya nail the throttle; once it returns to idle it drops below and picks right back up with a grunt, so it may also be fueling characteristics of the VE

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

or maybe i just have a governor spring that's been stretched wayyy out

Last edited by tower_ofpower; 12-06-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by BC847
Perhaps because you never re-indexed the throttle when you installed the 3200 governor spring.

I'm not saying it happens all the time, I'm saying we need to start looking a little harder at the index when we do goof around inside the IP.
hmm.... You could be on to something. I did gain quite a bit of extra fuel when I did this

https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-r...r-ve-pump.html

But I might have gone a little to far ... I'll need to play with that some. Thanks David!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

it could be your truck's way of telling you it wants a P-pump....

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Benjamin
it could be your truck's way of telling you it wants a P-pump....
Probably...

Quick Reply: Hey Smokem