1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

New Member with a new truck and a question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member with a new truck and a question

Hey Everyone.
This is my first post so here it goes. I purchased a 92 D250 with a getrag a few months back. It is all stock so far. I have gone through the truck and changed all the fluids/filters and filled up the transmission an extra quart. I've been driving as much as I can and the truck has been running great so far. Recently I rotated the fuel pin 90 degrees and turned the star wheel a turn and a half just to see how it would go. Nothing too crazy. It worked great and the result was better than expected. That was a week ago and now the truck has not been running the same. Before the truck would rev up nice and smooth as the boost rose and speed increased. Now it seams the engine does not rev as smooth and the the power is not their like before. I'm trying hard to explain this as best i can. The engine seams to be reving higher with less power. What could this be? A lack of boost? There is only a little smoke with hard acceleration so I dont think it is. I check the seals around the banjo bolt and the afc itself for leaks. I'm not sure where to start. Could it be the fuel pressure? The only thing that has been done since I turned the pin was a fill up and added some fuel treatment.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I dont know if you guys are like me, but when something is broken I cant stand not getting it fixed asap. Sorry for the long post
-Thanks again. Cant wait to learn as much as I can here.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 240 Likes on 192 Posts

did this truck sit any amount of time before you bought it. first and easiest thing to do is change fuel filter it sounds like you got filter problems to me. i would do that first and look at other things after making sure your fuel pin is still like you put it but i wouldnt think it would take that long after you made your adjustments for that to show up and thanks for joining D.Bombers if i didnt give you the answers you were looking for there will be somebody on here who can

Old 12-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got to agree with Arizona Redneck about changing the fuel filter being the place to start. Too many drivers buy fuel at the cheapeist place and ignore the need to change the fuel filter. Since you don't know where the previous owner bought his fuel checking the fuel coming out of the old fuel filter should tell you if there is a fuel problem. I bought my truck new in Jan of '93 and have changed my fuel filter at every other oil change - every 12,000 miles and have never had a fuel filter show anything but good fuel. In addition I buy my fuel at high volume truck stops or places I know are high volume.

What's the mileage on your truck and what fuel additive did you use?

Bob

Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

i noticed that u changed the filters was the fuel filter one of them

Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys.
The fuel filter has been changed not to long ago, about 2 weeks. I filled up at a Valero that has a larger area for trucks so I'm sure they go through their fuel fuel pretty quickly.
I used some diesel power additive because it was what I had on hand. The stuff in the gray bottle. Is that not good stuff to use?
And yes Arizona, the truck had been sitting for a long time. My dad who originally spotted the truck thinks that it may have sat for 2 years or more. Maybe driven occasionally but not much. I know one of the worst things you can do to any engine is let it sit. When I bought the truck it started right up after a battery charge and ran great till recently. This might be the tip of the iceberg as a result of it sitting. Thats the trouble with buying an older truck, you dont know its history. You're lucky Bob because you know all the history about your truck.
Soon after I purchased the truck I went through and change all the fluids and filters. I also gave it a much needed grease job.
Sorry fo the long reply just trying to give you the most info I can.
Oh the truck has 171,000 on it.
Any other thoughts?

Thanks again guys I'm glad to be here. I'm sure I'll figure this out, with your guys help.

-Mike

Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Now it seams the engine does not rev as smooth and the the power is not their like before. I'm trying hard to explain this as best i can. The engine seams to be reving higher with less power. What could this be?"

the clutch could be another possibility?

Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the turbo? If its not fuel and not a clutch? And you buy fuel from a well know fuel station that turns over alot i dont see why its not running like a top. Check the connection on the turbo. Didi you ever empty the tank out before you started the truck for the first time?

Old 12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Diesel Fan

Yeah Dirty after driving around this morning running errands I do feel a little vibration that was not there before. I feel it as soon as I left off the clutch and hit the gas moving in the next gear. I noticed it the most in 3rd and 4th feels a bit better. I havent looked too much into the clutch but now I will. Might need to be adjusted or replaced. I'll go and check it out. How much should the pedal come back before the clutch engages the flywheel?
No Dodge Kid I prob should have drained the tank before I started driving it a lot. It was sitting for a long time before I bought it. Could have been all kinds of crap in there

Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutch should be at least as high as the brake. Most I've seen are a little higher maybe by a 1/2 inch. The clutch is non adjustable - hydraulic master and slave cylinders you can't even bleed them. I would not recomend using a MOPAR setup - there are better systems out there. I just replaced mine with one from South Bend Clutch - a world of difference in performance. As far as the vibration goes you might look at the "U" joints.

Power Service is a good product. I would drain the fuel filter and see what you get. With the truck sitting as long as it did you might have a little "growth" in the fuel tank. See what drains out of the fuel filter. If it's clear the fuel is probably OK if not let us know what you see. There are products out there that will mix with "growth" and convert it to something that is burnable.

Bob

Old 12-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my pedal comes about an 1 1/2" off the floor and the clutch grabs... but i have a south bend in my truck for a wile and i know it was a little different with my stocker.
and you can't adjust automotive clutches as far as i know.

Quick Reply: New Member with a new truck and a question