1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

12 valve cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

get the transmission its own cooling system separate from the tank on the side of the engine and the radiator. this'll allow the coolant to be used to pull heat only from the engine if the smaller radiator is your only option. get on summit racing and look around their electric fans. i found one not too long ago that's the perfect heighth but just a TAD bit too wide for the factory radiator but it wont make too much of a difference. i believe it huffed like 5500 cfm or just a wee bit less

Old 11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

well ig ot everything figured out today. when i took out my radiator i noticed my itnercooler was abdley bent, causing the bottom of the radiator to stick way out. so i pulled the intercooler and straightened it back to almost perfect. must have been like that since i put it in and not noticed since the truck hasnt gone anywhere yet.

well i straightened it and put the radiator back in, and now i have a solid inch of room between the fan and the radiator. so i dropped the radiator off to the radiator repair place and they fixed it for 37 bucks.

so tomorrow i will put it back in and im hoping that will fix the problem and it wont happen again.

next question; is the fan shroud absolutely necessary? the dodge one is toot all and hits the hood and the chevy one is too short and hits the fan. do i absolutely need one?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it would be a very good idea. the shroud makes shure the fan is pulling air through the rad and not from pulling air from around the rad. so it will help with cooling efficientcy

Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

it sounds like it would be better to run electric fans to me more benificial

Old 11-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

fan shroud is absolutely necessary ; it doesnt pull air from around the radiator w/o the shround in place so much as it "whips and throws" it around instead of actually causing an area of low pressure to pull from the front side of the radiator. trim the top or bottom of the shroud off and replace it with a piece of light gauge metal to utilize the dodges shroud. that's the route i'd try going atleast

Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
well ig ot everything figured out today. when i took out my radiator i noticed my itnercooler was abdley bent, causing the bottom of the radiator to stick way out. so i pulled the intercooler and straightened it back to almost perfect. must have been like that since i put it in and not noticed since the truck hasnt gone anywhere yet.

well i straightened it and put the radiator back in, and now i have a solid inch of room between the fan and the radiator. so i dropped the radiator off to the radiator repair place and they fixed it for 37 bucks.

so tomorrow i will put it back in and im hoping that will fix the problem and it wont happen again.

next question; is the fan shroud absolutely necessary? the dodge one is toot all and hits the hood and the chevy one is too short and hits the fan. do i absolutely need one?
Awesome! Glad you found your problem. I would pressuse check your intercooler to make sure you dont have a cracked tube.

Originally Posted by hotcummins
it sounds like it would be better to run electric fans to me more benificial
Could be if teh factory shroud wont work. Or make a aluminum one for it.

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
fan shroud is absolutely necessary ; it doesnt pull air from around the radiator w/o the shround in place so much as it "whips and throws" it around instead of actually causing an area of low pressure to pull from the front side of the radiator. trim the top or bottom of the shroud off and replace it with a piece of light gauge metal to utilize the dodges shroud. that's the route i'd try going atleast
Exactly!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

i wish i had room for the electrical fans but i dont unless i by a 500 dollar special slimline fan. i was screwing with it yesterday and i think i can make the dodge shroud work just fine. but i will worry about that after i get it running again when i figure out what my problem is