1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

hard starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default hard starts

ok here's the skinny.... i have a 90 thing runs great, but a coupple of weeks ago the thing started to start hard... like the pump was loosing prime. it seems to run fine otherwise. but it bothers me a bit. i've been checking my oil very often and the level hasn't gone up nor does it smell like diesel... if i let my fass pump prime for like 10 sec. it starts fine...checked all the fuel lines for leaks didn't finde any... I don't have a fuel pressure guage in line so i don't know how much it dropped off when i'm driving.. i did however hook in my fuel pressure guage in after i put the fass pump in and i had 14psi at idle.. I'm loosing my minde with this and considering putting a new ve on and getting a better fuel pump.., Any help??? almost forgot i put an in line check valve in the supply line

Last edited by seandonato73; 10-25-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: forgot to put something in
Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

inline check valve? is that when it started getting hard to start?????

Old 10-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

if there isnt any place for air to get into the system that'd allow the fuel to drain back then there'd really be no way for it to lose it's prime

Old 10-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Diesel Wrench

it started to start hard and one of the guys at word said to try a check valve in the supply line.... it was starting hard before i put the check valve in. the part that gets me is, i parked the truck after work in the drive way, started it the next day, it started hard, and i didn't do any mods to the truck for a wile???? it just kinda poped up an has been bothering me ever since

Old 10-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Diesel Bomber

if your letting the FASS prime for say 10 second then your letting all the air that got into the IP be bled thru back to the tank... put a clear line on the return line one night and the next morning go out and let the FASS prime the system and watch the return line... i can almost bet you'll see a nice bubbly section. fuel system integrity is crucial and fickle... something like this can deffinately pop up out of no where... mods or not

Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Diesel Wrench

thanx i'll have to try that this weekend

Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Diesel Wrench

got a chance to check my return with the clear tubing after work to day.....no bubbles,don't know if i should be happy or sad, but i'm still really confused with why it starts hard

Old 10-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts

weak starters sometimes can cause this problem. ive had multiple vehicles have hard starts and put in a brand new starter and the difference is very noticeable. not sayin thats your problem or not but ive put new starters and been like oh wow it starts way faster now

Old 10-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Diesel Wrench

no it cranks fine...i'm kinda thinken more allong the lines that my pump is shot, but i want to be sure before i go an spend $800 on a new pump

Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Diesel Bomber

eliminate the electric shut off for test purposes... might want to make sure that the connection on the shut off is tight and clean too... i had an intermittent miss at idle, and the occasional extended crank period, i knew about this before i bought the truck; alls i did was tweak the connector to fit abit more snugly and some di-electric grease. starts up like a champ (when the weak starter spins it fast enough) and the miss disappeared

The following users liked this post:
seandonato73 (10-31-2009)

Quick Reply: hard starts