1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

grinding noise after start

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 94 Posts
Default grinding noise after start

hey guys just today my truck started making a weird grinding noise after i start it up. it starts up and sounds fine for 3-4 seconds and then starts making a horrible grinding noise. so then i turn off the truck and it doesnt want to die it jsut kinda diesels sounds almost as if the starters sticking. so i pull the starter relay out and it still makes the noise, and even if i pull out the kill switch solenoid it still does it. anyone got any ideas?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Killer dowel pin maybe ??????

Old 10-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Diesel Bomber

wouldnt something like that always make a noise though? and i dont know how the kdp could cause the truck to keep turning over with no fuel or air to it? even when i block off the air inlet it keeps turning over

Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

that thing is possessed!

Old 10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel shutoff solenoid may be trashed,or you ip is dieing

Old 10-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by tltruckparts
wouldnt something like that always make a noise though? and i dont know how the kdp could cause the truck to keep turning over with no fuel or air to it? even when i block off the air inlet it keeps turning over

Oh I See...........I think its the starter still engaged, although you pulled the relay I bet it was still stuck in the engaged position and the Cummins was turnin it to beat the band

sounds like new starter time

Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Check your turbo, If its shot it is possible that teh blades are hitting the housing, grindong noise, and that oil is getting into the intake, which will allow the engine to keep running after you cut the fuel supply.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

well if he's cuttin air off to it in all reality it should die... if the starter solenoid is getting stuck in the engaged position it's going to continue to turn over and removing the starter relay (what controls the starter solenoid) isn't going to do jack.... remove the negative battery cable or something (watch out for sparks as it can cause the battery to explode if hydrogen gas is present) either way; the starter is supposed to have an over-running clutch to protect it for that split second that the starter is still engaged when the engine starts up. this is not a fail safe piece that will spare the starter from dammage in the event the gear stays engaged. if this clutch were to lock up and transfer full engine rpm's thru the ring gear to the starter it will over spin it and quite literally blow the starter apart. either way; starter is toast... the only reason it does it for 3-4 second is the speed of the engine can actually "kick" the starter back

Old 10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Diesel Bomber

that sounds about right to me. it hasnt run too much lately in the driveway still workin on my suspension so i started it today to let it run for a bit and this all happened. so it sounds like a bad starter then? i figure it something electrical because after it keeps cranking over one of the batteries started to smoke and the wires were gettin hot like it was just pulling way too much juice

Old 10-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

it's deffinately the starter still juiced up... may needa new battery too if the battery itself started to smoke

Quick Reply: grinding noise after start