1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Some misc questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Some misc questions.

Some on the dodge part, some on the cummins part.

1.) Tach signal, I hear it won't work with a gas tach due to a signal difference, is it frequency or a voltage thing?

2.) this power window, anyone ever rebuild the insides? like re rivet it all back together, it keeps pulling away from the motor gear and the window falls half down and I can't find any in the local yards.

3.) after I did my 3200 spring the truck seems to run a lot smoother and quieter, like very noticeable quieter and smoother, is this normal? before it felt like it had a very pronounced combustion sound (knock/rattle whatever) now... not so much.

4.) gas tank straps? I'm missing one and have a ratchet strap holding half the tank, dealership said keep it like that, they don't sell the straps???

think that's all.. just kinda listing out my issues since I haven't had time to work on them lately.

ohyeah.. after the spring install and resetting everything it went from being able to pop the clutch at idle in second no problem to pop the clutch in second and stall.. haha I guess that bugs me hence the tach question so I can see if the idle is right.. sounds the same speed as before, just sounds different.. and to add it's got stock timing.

Last edited by Budgreen; 10-21-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Diesel Bomber

no thoughts on my ramblings?

I think i'll bump my timing this weekend and see what effect that has haha

Old 10-23-2009, 11:25 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Budgreen
Some on the dodge part, some on the cummins part.

1.) Tach signal, I hear it won't work with a gas tach due to a signal difference, is it frequency or a voltage thing? - Not Sure

2.) this power window, anyone ever rebuild the insides? like re rivet it all back together, it keeps pulling away from the motor gear and the window falls half down and I can't find any in the local yards. - I would try and fix it, Try RockAuto.com

3.) after I did my 3200 spring the truck seems to run a lot smoother and quieter, like very noticeable quieter and smoother, is this normal? before it felt like it had a very pronounced combustion sound (knock/rattle whatever) now... not so much. - Bump your timing 1/8"

4.) gas tank straps? I'm missing one and have a ratchet strap holding half the tank, dealership said keep it like that, they don't sell the straps??? - Junkyard, one from a gasser might fit, not sure

think that's all.. just kinda listing out my issues since I haven't had time to work on them lately.

ohyeah.. after the spring install and resetting everything it went from being able to pop the clutch at idle in second no problem to pop the clutch in second and stall.. haha I guess that bugs me hence the tach question so I can see if the idle is right.. sounds the same speed as before, just sounds different.. and to add it's got stock timing.
Answers in red!

Oh and you idle, Turn it up till your mirrors quit shacking, And then a little more. For 5-s[eeds most people like 800-850 RPM idle

Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Diesel Bomber

HAHA

I adjusted the idle to where it is now like that, before it rattled the mirrors and doors real bad.. now it's smooth, but way too smooth.