1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help needed near S.A. tweaking a VE pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help needed near S.A. tweaking a VE pump

ok, i need someone near san antonio who knows how to properly adjust the ve pump on these trucks. when i got it, someone had just "turned up" the screw all the way, truck smokes like a freight train till there's boost. ive been reading that there are several different adjustments needed to make the truck run well throughout the rpm range, and im willing to pay someone to do it for me, i dont have time to learn how.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Well, I can't show you how in person, but I'm willing to bet that if you were to take an hour or two to familiarize yourself with it you'd be surprised at how simple it is.

If you have lots of low-end smoke, I'm willing to bet that it is the smoke screw that's turned, and that's the eaisiest thing to turn down. There's a half-inch circular black cap on the top of the pump; you pry it off with a couple small screwdrivers. Then there's a torx screw in it; that's the smoke screw. Back it all the way out to see if smoke decreases. It's should take about 10 minutes on a bad day.

If that doesn't work, then you'd need to get more in depth.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey wyo, I've played alittle with the smoke screw on my buddies, and that is the way people in our neck of the woods like to "turn the truck up", I'm no expert but hell I'll be happy to help out, I bet about half way through a twelve pack we could have her figured out. Just let me know

Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish I could help ya out, but I'll shoot ya a couple links that may help though.

Your cummins bible:
http://dodgeram.org/support_pgs/diesel_ix.htm
The more power link will give u some idea where to start.
I agree with the smoke screw, if its merly low end where your not getting much boost. Also, give your star wheel a few turns, UP (counter clockwise) What it does is allow the fuel to come on faster with less boost. If its bottomed out give quite a few full turns up. Maybe just do this instead. Bottom it out on purpose (clockwise) keeping track of how many turns it took, just for a reference, then turn it back where it was, plus maybe 2-3 turns. This is all very simple, and might take 1/2 hour to an hour of your time.

If these dont work, your probably going to be looking more in depth, like the fuel screw.

Man I wish I was down your way, I would gladly help ya out!