1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

help! cooling system left me stranded

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

by intake runner i meant the cross over... you could get a new exh housing for your H1C, only problem is that the shaft will be the weak link... surge it afew times and it might snap the shaft... if you dont want to mess with a cam go for a turbo... alot of guys will argue about the cam... most say they'll flow plenty until you get up into the BIG numbers. i've seen the blnkets around around and they arent cheap... just do afew google searches... one from a 2nd gen will fit like a glove if they dont list one for a first gen (which they probably wont). also get yourself a roll of DEI exhaust wrap too and wrap the downpipe since your looking to drop underhood temps; no point in insulating everything else and leaving the DP to bleed off the heat

Old 09-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
by intake runner i meant the cross over... you could get a new exh housing for your H1C, only problem is that the shaft will be the weak link... surge it afew times and it might snap the shaft... if you dont want to mess with a cam go for a turbo... alot of guys will argue about the cam... most say they'll flow plenty until you get up into the BIG numbers. i've seen the blnkets around around and they arent cheap... just do afew google searches... one from a 2nd gen will fit like a glove if they dont list one for a first gen (which they probably wont). also get yourself a roll of DEI exhaust wrap too and wrap the downpipe since your looking to drop underhood temps; no point in insulating everything else and leaving the DP to bleed off the heat
the whats?
just rap the down pipe no manafold and turbo too whys that?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Diesel Bomber

i'm not saying to wrap JUST the downpipe, i'm saying if you get a blanket for the manifold and the turbo you might as well get a roll of exhaust wrap and wrap the down pipe... you'll be insulating everything else you might as well do the same with the down pipe. DEI is the company that makes the exhaust wrap. get on summit; it'll be like 45 bucks for a 2" wide roll of it wrap it TIGHT with 1/4 inch over lap... get some 3 inch hose clamps to hold the end in place and it wont come off, i used some of my left over stuff from the gasser when i wrapped the headers. let me run outside and take a pic; it'll make it alot easier to understand... i suck at explaining things, i just do it so i dont have much experience instructing.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Site Sponsor

i'm not saying to wrap JUST the downpipe, i'm saying if you get a blanket for the manifold and the turbo you might as well get a roll of exhaust wrap and wrap the down pipe... you'll be insulating everything else you might as well do the same with the down pipe. DEI is the company that makes the exhaust wrap. get on summit; it'll be like 45 bucks for a 2" wide roll of it wrap it TIGHT with 1/4 inch over lap... get some 3 inch hose clamps to hold the end in place and it wont come off, i used some of my left over stuff from the gasser when i wrapped the headers. let me run outside and take a pic; it'll make it alot easier to understand... i suck at explaining things, i just do it so i dont have much experience instructing.
can i use that on the headers turbo and D-pipe and get like a 2inx50ft roll of it
when i get in there i might do bearings as well any good sources for them?

Last edited by big bad diesel 416; 09-27-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

idk if you can efficiently wrap the exhaust manifold... an aftermarket one you might be able to do it but it wont look pretty... you wont be able to wrap the turbo, how ever you could use something like this Turbonetics 31040 - Turbonetics Turbocharger Heat Shields - Overview - SummitRacing.com i believe the cummins uses the T3 flange so this might fit

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

scratch that last one... go with this... its and actual blanket and not a formed piece of tin, plus it comes with enough wrap to do the downpipe Design Engineering DEI 010141 - DEI T3 Turbo Titanium Heat Shield Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Last edited by tower_ofpower; 09-27-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Diesel Bomber

like i said i did it with scraps... better than nothing i suppose...

Attached Thumbnails help! cooling system left me stranded-downpipe.jpg  
Old 09-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Site Sponsor

like i said i did it with scraps... better than nothing i suppose...
i just bought this and i am going to try to wrap the manafold turbo and d-pipe or will it burn up? its says its rated for 2,000 degrees F
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010102/

Last edited by big bad diesel 416; 09-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Diesel Bomber

nah it wont burn up... wrapping the turbo is going to be tricky... if anything get some mechanics wire and make your own turbo blanket... the manifold with be a fun one... let me know how it goes bud, it is cheaper than the 150 sum buck one but alot more work...

Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Site Sponsor

ok i will its all gonna be off anyway so i can take more time and do a good job ya know?
in 4 hours i got the motor hanging off the mounts jerkin it out tomorrow morn trany was a bitch i just pulled the trany and left the bell housing on i need a good breakdown for the trany 2nd gear syncro is out and i dont know if its made but what about a taller 5th gear?

well motor comes out in 6 hours and then we start the hard stuff

well got it all out that thing is HEAVY whats the CTD weigh

Last edited by big bad diesel 416; 09-29-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Site Sponsor

exaust manafold bolts ?

these suckers been sitting in pb blaster for 2 days and i have allready broke 2 whats the trick?

oh i have a number 2 syncro out and it needs to be replaced how is this done dose anyone have a parts breakdown?/repair maunual?

Quick Reply: help! cooling system left me stranded