1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

help! cooling system left me stranded

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

kinda free reved at 3400 Rpm building 5 psi

Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

If it's puking right when you first start it in the morning, got a leaking head gasket OR a cracked head. I'm guessing a head gasket on account of the age.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Site Sponsor

not when you start and idle or start and drive normal only when you hotrod and get the R's up then it pukes it out

Old 09-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

So it's just a small enough leak into the water jacket that only lets go under enough boost.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Site Sponsor

ok so re torq the head and try that first?

Old 09-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

You could try it. That has been known to stop a small leak, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, based on the description of what it's doing. I'd plan on a new HG at the earliest opportunity, just to get it done right.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

have you pressure tested the cap at all? running it with no T-stat can cause it to overheat too... if there isnt anything there to slow the coolant down enough that it has a chance to actually pull heat from the cylinders and head, a hot and boilover condition is very plausible... as for it pushing THAT much coolant out of it... somethin is taking up the coolants place such as, like others have said combustion gasses... if your head wasn't cracked/warped before it wont be long before it is... air sits on top, it can fill the head completely up with air and still keep the block wet/ semi cool and toast a head... cooling system malfunctions can be horrific, best advice... dont drive it if you can, and deffinately dont hot rod it

Old 09-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Site Sponsor

ok boys heres this order....
i will be pulling the motor for other reasons so help me out and dont let me forget nuthin....

1. 12mm ARP stud kit
2. head gasket (i want to drop the comp so run the marine??)
3. have injectors popped tested replace as needed
4. replace oil pan gasket
5. kill the KDP
6. fix all oil leaks.... oh weight its a cummins never mind they all leak
7. up grade the radiator (chime in on whats best)
8. elect fans
9. 2nd gen lift pump (whats involved here)
10. have some port work done (is this needed?)
11. build a 3in crossover (non I/C)
12. frint and rear main seals
13. replace the 2nd gear syncro (trany)

about the piston lift pump here i have a tuned pump from a shop so the otherday i turned the full power screw till runaway and at different points in the throttle it would get what sounded like a miss is this lack of fule?

i got 2500.00 to spend help me spend it...........

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
have you pressure tested the cap at all?
its new

ok just got the studs 450.00 not bad (free shipping)
got a fule pressure gauge (autometer sportcomp)
and a gauge pod

2500.00 had
-716.55 spent
= 1753.45 left

come on guys dont let me have all the fun now!

oh dose anyone know the PN for a Flex A Light fan fot this truck?

Last edited by big bad diesel 416; 09-26-2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

not planning on towing i take it? the electric fans arent too great at keeping up with temps that can be produced while towing (from what i've heard) as far as i know you cant really upgrade a radiator for a first gen... best thing you could do is go talk with a guy at a radiator shop and see what he could hook you up with, i was able to go from a 2 core to a 3 core rad, but i'm pretty sure that the cummins existing 3 cores is its maximum, a custom aluminum one possibly? but that's going to KILL your funds... why are you looking to drop compression? a marine gasket may be a hair bit thicker and isnt likely to affect your compression ratio what so ever... run the marine to handle the extra heat, gotta watch out with the 2nd gen piston pump... its meant to supply pressure to a P pump... it'll result in a very leaky VE44, go with a air dog 150 for a 2nd gen 24V, i've heard everything including fittings are perfect(you'll be much happier this route). never mind the port work... not too many guys focus on this uness they're trying to squeeze every last bit out of it... its not that great of a bang for the buck... spend the time making a real nice 3" cross over and get a 3 piece exh manifold, what turbo are you running? obviously not stock if your looking to unchoke the intake runner... rear main seal cost me 69 and afew cents after tax straight from cummins... get all new mounts for the old girl too, i forgot where i saw it; i think it was the chevy with a cummins conversion but he had located some polyurethane engine mounts. sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to do bud... if you eliminate some of the things that arent THAT important you may have enouhg left over to get a re-ground cam... they arent too expensive and advertise some decent gains, spool up, economy, low end torque... just a suggestion

Old 09-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
not planning on towing i take it? the electric fans arent too great at keeping up with temps that can be produced while towing (from what i've heard) as far as i know you cant really upgrade a radiator for a first gen... best thing you could do is go talk with a guy at a radiator shop and see what he could hook you up with, i was able to go from a 2 core to a 3 core rad, but i'm pretty sure that the cummins existing 3 cores is its maximum, a custom aluminum one possibly? but that's going to KILL your funds... why are you looking to drop compression? a marine gasket may be a hair bit thicker and isnt likely to affect your compression ratio what so ever... run the marine to handle the extra heat, gotta watch out with the 2nd gen piston pump... its meant to supply pressure to a P pump... it'll result in a very leaky VE44, go with a air dog 150 for a 2nd gen 24V, i've heard everything including fittings are perfect(you'll be much happier this route). never mind the port work... not too many guys focus on this uness they're trying to squeeze every last bit out of it... its not that great of a bang for the buck... spend the time making a real nice 3" cross over and get a 3 piece exh manifold, what turbo are you running? obviously not stock if your looking to unchoke the intake runner... rear main seal cost me 69 and afew cents after tax straight from cummins... get all new mounts for the old girl too, i forgot where i saw it; i think it was the chevy with a cummins conversion but he had located some polyurethane engine mounts. sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to do bud... if you eliminate some of the things that arent THAT important you may have enouhg left over to get a re-ground cam... they arent too expensive and advertise some decent gains, spool up, economy, low end torque... just a suggestion
intake runner? stock with 60mm upgrade

i want a manafold/turbo blakket too where can i get one

Quick Reply: help! cooling system left me stranded