1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

12 valve help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 12 valve help

hi all my names bobby i recently bought my first diesel shes a 93 dodge w250 cummins 12 valve pretty much bone stock cone directly on the turbo & no muffler or tail pipe sounds pretty mean. now to my question for yall my buddy & i went @ diesel nationals & the night before we hacked the muffler off & he tweaked the smoke screw i was cruisin downt the highway & all of a sudden my truck decided @ roll over & die like it didnt wanna move to save its life once i came down from bout 70 to get on the parkway all the power came back it also did this on the way home wat could this problem be from???? my buddy says he only turned the smoke screw a 1/4 turn was that not enough? is it cuz of my exhaust being too short? im a gas mechanic & going 2 school for big diesel truck repair this is my daily driver so im hopeing this wont get worse over time also ive been haveing some electrical problems i plugged her in just 2 see if the heater worked & now the wait @ start light doesnt come on when i turn the key but comes on when the truck is started & since all this happened i havent had overdrive the switch wont light up or work for that matter as well as the heater control side of the dash lighting wise of course everything functions except the overdrive switch if anybody is local @ sussex county nj & is familiar with this model of truck email me @ amcman108@vzw.blackberry.net if u would like @ look @ the truck & see if u can find a problem but all other suggestions would be great i payed 3 grand for the truck & would realy like @ fix up more I LOVE DRIVEING THIS TRUCK its the most comfortable vehicle ive ever driven short of the rigid spring but ill get over it quick planning on a @ inch lift & leveling kit jus for looks way to long for wheelin round here . have a 96 jeep grand cherokee im dropping a 4bt in just 4 wheelin ne recomendations on nething related @ the p/u would greatley appreciated!!!

Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

bump, straight piping it wouldnt hurt any thing

Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

By rolled over and dies what do you mean? did it cut off? stumble? just quit gaining speed?

Its Not the smoke screw or the exhaust, I would lean towards fuel supply/pressure or maybe you wire going to the shut off solinoid is coming loose.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

sounds like it could be a bad ground somewhere. good luck finding it

Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

The only electric circuit that will cause the truck to die is the fuel shut-off solenoid on the top of the pump; the solenoid must have 12 volts to run and is the most common cause of stalls and no-starts. Since there are other electrical problems at the same time, it sounds like a negative battery cable, engine ground or positive battery cable (the solenoid grounds through the injection pump case).

Other than that, look for a fuel supply issue, especially a suction-side air leak letting air into the system.

Or maybe it's due to a severe shortage of P.E.R.I.O.D.S.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 AM
Diesel Fan

so i think i found my cure the computer was on its way out i think wat happened was my block heater shorted out n fried the comp so a new alternator, crank sensor & computer l8r it runs like a raped date!! & as for rolled over & died it jus started to surge in the trans nand motor like bucking for a lil bit but its only bucked like that twice since i replaced the comp so im gonna do a trans service & see if that helps next thing to get after is the brakes i dont know anything about hydro boost brake systems but i do know that the front driver side caliper is leakin somewhere so since i dont have school tomorow im gonna address that issue & try 2 figure out y i cant keep constant brake pressure ever i mean even b4 the caliper started 2 leak it wouldnt hold pressure id have 2 pump up the brakes 2 stop ne suggestions there would be great butonce i get this ol girl stopping right im gonna start unlocking the rest of that free power from the ve pump. also could nebody tell what plow frames will fit the truck from other trucks i was told the second gen plow frames will bolt right up but i dont trust the idiot that told me this since he sold me the truck cant trust him nemore but besides that gotta get a new hitch. i need to replace a section of floor & a body mount along the drivers side rocker. also contemplateing whether to stack the truck or not.... ill get a picture up soon. almost forgot if nebody is interested in factory running boards for an extended cab 8 foot bed drop me a pm & we can negotiate a price & shipping they are complete i was gonna polish them up & stickem back on but i like the look without them. i wanna go with a single color paint scheme but undecided as to wat looks best or would look best rather . any & all suggestions greatfully & equally considered. does anybody have a problem getting theyre truck to go over 70 mph? i realy have 2 hammer down on it 2 keep up with traffic on 287 or is this something im going 2 have work on with free horse power?

thanx greatley for all suggestions & ideas toward this truck bobby

Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Install the 3200RPM governor spring. the "366" spring and that will let you keep up on the freeway with rpm's to spare and gives a night and day change to throttle response.

if the truck was plugged in it was most likely warm enough already not to need to run the grid heaters, hence the no "wait to start" light.

check the ground from the negative terminal to the body.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Diesel Fan

where would i get the 3200 sping from & how would i install it im new to all of this all i know is the few lil things ive picked up googleing my truck. but i do know that i can get some more power outa the fuel pump. i wen and got a boost guage to start the process but wat other guages do i need to add before i go crankin away on things?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You need a pyrometer to waych egt's. A fuel pressure gauge. A 1stgen has fuel pressure of 4-7psi at idle and 0-4psi at WOT. Any bosch pump shop can get you a 3200 spring. Or you could get one on here from one of the sponsers or there's ebay. 1989-93 Dodge Cummins 3200 RPM VE Governor Spring NEW:eBay Motors (item 260475614455 end time Oct-11-09 09:04:39 PDT)
Heres how to install it.
Den - Dodge CTD 1st Gen - VE Governor Spring Install

Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Diesel Fan

ok thanxs guys...... is it a problem if im @ wop throttle & im spikeing for 16 to 18 psi on my boost guage? i went to all my local parts stores advance napa autozone carquest & no1 had egt/pyrometer guages or fuel pressure guages.....does anybody have a set they wanna sell? ima look on ebay tonite....... but on another note i had one of my teachers go axel 2 axel with me today cuz he thought his gasser chevy was unstopable i almost ripped his axel out !!!! the only other kid thats got a diesel @ my school ran n hid sayin im not that crazy hes got a powerchoke pretty truck but no *****

Quick Reply: 12 valve help