1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death wobble

I have a 1 ton dually 2wd it has no lift on it and at 35 mph it hits a bump and goes into the wobble i understand why it does it just wonderin what are the correct parts to get to fix the problem

Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

The common problem seems to be a worn trac bar. I have also heard of worn ball joints contributing to the problem. Essentially any worn component in the front end is a contributing factor. When mine happened I started with the track bar and everything was fine after that.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Diesel Fan

Alrighty ill start with that. I buried it in louisiana deciding to skid my truck with a trackho instead of my machine. Thanks for the info, but another question would you knows anything about a good air suspension and a little lift that would be good for my truck

Old 08-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazz
The common problem seems to be a worn trac bar. I have also heard of worn ball joints contributing to the problem. Essentially any worn component in the front end is a contributing factor. When mine happened I started with the track bar and everything was fine after that.
didnt know 2wd's came with trac bars........
Originally Posted by jip28
Alrighty ill start with that. I buried it in louisiana deciding to skid my truck with a trackho instead of my machine. Thanks for the info, but another question would you knows anything about a good air suspension and a little lift that would be good for my truck
Check all your soft parts, suspension and strut rod bushings, hard parts like tie rods, steering components, FRONT FRAME RAILS AND CROSSMEMBER AND STEERING BOX MOUNTS, and then check your bearings.....

the rivets in the front frame rails work loose and can destroy the frame, the same with the bolts in the steering box.......

Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 96 did the same thing. it was 4 wheel drive though but i thought it was the sway bar bushings but after puttin them on it still did it. It ended up being the ball joint that bolts on to the pitman arm was wore out. Thats what was wrong with mine anyways.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=LOGANSTANFORTH;377047]didnt know 2wd's came with trac bars........

yeahhhh i read that and just thought to myself... uhhh extra parts that are worthless on a front leaf spring suspension?... mmmmmk

idk; there's no "deffinate cause for it" just look for worn parts. soft parts as logan said will wear but still look normal until loaded and distorted: plus they're cheaper to replace

Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

I guess I missed the 2wd part. sorry

Old 08-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Firestone makes a nice air suspension lift bag system. I have one on my 3500 .
they start at just over $100.00

Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks guys. Ill prolly go thru everthing when i go's back to work cause it prolly needs it and hasnt been done being a 89. With a weldin bed ,machine, bottles and tools dont help much. I bought it cause the motors been tore down and rebuilt and since ive bought it its been from wyoming to louisiana and back home to texas. And I love my flat hoodies its my second one.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Diesel Fan

So far i have replaced both left and right tie-rods and a new sway bar and my truck still shakes. Correct me if im wrong should I take the hub off and check my main bearings. There is no frame cracks anywhere near the steering box. The only thing ive found is a part on my wheel and connects it to the upper a-arm is worn pretty bad you can tell when you jack the truck up idk if its the same part logan is talking about

Last edited by jip28; 08-15-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: death wobble