1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Weak boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

in a gas job yes... diesel no. at idle the air fuel ratio is extremely low; once brough off idle more fuel is introduced for it to run like you want it. when you see black smoke it's partially burnt fuel, i've known it to be called hot smoke b/c of more fuel = more more heat. he doesn't have a pyrometer so you can't really tell what his fuel system is doing... so i'm going by the assumption that since theres grey smoke there's plenty of fuel delivery and what were seeing of little boost is the actual problem; not a case of not enough gasses being produced by too little fuel

Last edited by tower_ofpower; 08-07-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: mis-read azrattler's statement correcting with the right information
Old 08-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we put in a 3200 spring and that seems to have done the trick. I don't know why that alone would make the difference, I didn't adjust anything else from before to after. But now the truck has a grip load of power and acceleration. Boost is getting up to around 16psi or so and seems to be plenty. Could the old spring just have been really bad and caused this? I mean really it's like having a whole new truck....... got the flatbed installed too, woohoo!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Diesel Bomber

16psi with the 366 spring? it's just fueling harder that's why your actually getting more psi but still i'm just running pump mods and a custom ground factory pin and makin my gauge float at 20psi... if your happy with it... then your happy but IMO your still running abit low...

Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Diesel Fan

Even with the extra rpms available, the boost is still climbing when I have to shift. In my brothers truck, his boost jumps up around 20psi when the tranny shifts. But I cannot shift as fast as the auto tranny, so the boost drops pretty quick in between gears. I'm probably going to pull the turbo off in the next couple weeks and look at the exhaust side.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bombstack, increase your over-all fuel delivery using the full power screw.
It takes fuel to make boost!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

I cant belive no one has asked about your fuel system. Whats your pressure at the filter? When is teh last tome you changed the filter? A low fuel isue would give you no boost. Also pull teh fuel pin and look for a witness mark on it to make sure teh rack is traveling. You might have to rotate it a little bit to get "Fresh metal" or put some greese on it so you can see if your AFC is working.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Diesel Fan

I changed the fuel filter about 1200 miles ago. This may sound ignorant, but when you say fuel pin, are you referring to the one hanging out the bottom of the diaphragm on top of the pump? If that is the one, then I have already turned it clockwise at least 45 degrees.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the AFC diaphragm.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Diesel Bomber

i havent asked about the filter b/c i thought we covered it already... i read through enough of these things sometimes they get all jumbled together ; so if i didnt cover a base... i'm sorry. thought i said something about a lift pump too... he replaced it didnt he? that's it... i'm losing my mind

Old 08-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Diesel Fan

Yup, replaced the lift pump, no change. Fuel filter, no change. Turned up the diaphragm and the star wheel, no change. Uncork the exhaust, still no change. No boot leaks or anything like that. All of this and the truck runs like a turd. Only getting 10psi if I'm lucky (and around 14mpg). THEN..... Install a 3200 rpm spring, and I can hardly slow the truck down. Boost only reaches 16psi currently, but it is climbing when I have to shift and still pulling hard. I am going to check the exhaust side of the turbo this Sunday if I can. I also need to install my fuel pressure gauge sender this weekend. I did notice the temp going up pretty quick on long grades since the 3200 install.

Quick Reply: Weak boost