1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Need some help and basic advice 93 dually

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help and basic advice 93 dually

Hey guys, my first post so hello how are you!

Anyways, I'm getting ready to buy the second diesel I will have owned ever, so needless to say I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to making a good decision or not beyond basic knowledge. I won't have money to do any maintenance on this truck for 2 months, and I want to try my best at avoiding buying a lemon.

With that said what I'm looking at right now is a 1993 250 3/4 ton dually, but from what the guy says it used to be a regular truck, the last owner supposedly someone he knows had the truck changed over to a double wheel dually axle, and put the fenders on this truck...He says this is good, because the rear end was replaced. Does that in some way harm a truck changing it like that? Is the frame changed or anything?

The truck has 230k miles with the following upgrades...he says the front end was rebuilt 1 yr ago, the injectors were switched out for bigger ones 6 months ago, has a bigger turbo, and 5 1/2 inch exhaust, tranny was replaced, and it can run on bio diesel. Also has a new paint job.

He says the bad is when the tranny was replaced, during installation 2 lines had to be cut causing a small leak which leaks for approx 3 minutes after the truck has been turned off. (Is this really bad?) The only other thing he said was a problem was the Valve sleeve? or valve cover I guess he meant leaked a little bit and should be replaced....Would this be something I could do myself with a new gasket?? I have very limited mechanical knowledge with diesels.

Here's some pictures of the truck. We have agreed on 4,000 and I'm probably going to go pick it up on Friday if the truck seems like it runs well. I need your help if possible based on the information above and the pictures below to get an idea if this is a good buy or if I'm getting ripped at 4000.00

Thanks!

Name:  blackbeauty.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  blackbeautyengine.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  98.5 KB

Old 07-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

i don't see a problem with buying a truck like this but if you're not going to have money to fix it for 2 months i probably wouldn't drive it for 2 months then you at least have money for it when it breaks, not if, trust me these things do break, and being able to run on bio diesel isn't anything special, any diesel can do it with very minor fuel line modification, though i'd stick to dino diesel, other than that seems like a nice truck, tranny scares me being an automatic but that's dodges for ya

Old 07-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I don't feel comfortable buying a truck with that much done to it. Who knows how good of a job he did on the dually conversion, and whatever else he has done to the truck.

I knew something was off with this truck. A dually with no cab lights, and 250 emblems. Makes sense after I read the post though...

I've seen better deals for 4K, so I'd hold off a little longer, especially if you don't know a lot about working on diesels, because this one seems like it will need some work.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

i got this for 4K......and it needed a little work but my whole family is mechanics so that is a relative term......

Name:  P6141534.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  255.0 KB

Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Does not sound like a screaming deal but it does not sound like he is ripping you off either. I would look at the dually conversion, It should be pretty straight forward with just swapping springs and the axle but check it over good. The tranny leak is something I would fix right away. Leaks only get worse! the valve cover seal (if that is what he is talking about) is REALLY easy to change.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

id look around unless you are in need of a diesel right now. The tranny leak scares me you dont know if he has run that thing low on fluid and hurt it before. valve cover leak doesent matter to much but these also have a front seal leaking problem

Old 07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for all your help guys. I will give it a good look over on Friday, and possibly offer him 3500, see if he takes that. I did also find a 97 with 230k 4x4 but the bed is pretty well beaten up and it needs a new hydroboost and A/C compressor. That guy wants 4500 firm. I'd like to save a grand if I can, but a 97 4x4 is almost too good to pass up!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a bad looking truck, looks like the doors sag alittle. What state is it in...There is alot of things to look at on a 1st Gen..IE roof rust, cowl cracks.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Diesel Fan

It's here in AZ, up north some where, has a 928 prefix in the phone #, I found it on CL a few days ago. I think it's a preaty good deal myself. The trans leak sounds to me like the cooler lines were cut and spliced back together, I'd think that you could get good hydrolic line and fix that for next to nothing?
But that is just me.
Justin

Old 07-20-2009, 02:54 AM
Diesel Fan

i agree with everyone and those trannys holy molly will they go out if u dont keep up on them! just my own two since i went threw two of them and then threw it away and put a 5spd in honestly man i wouldnt pay that much for it sure it looks clean on the out side but like alot of guys said it is kinda scary with some of that stuff though! and if that 97 is in mesa or gilbert or something be care cause if its the one im thinking of a white single cab 5 spd i would stay a far way away from that the kid who owns it doesnt exactly take care of his trucks the best! just my .02 good luck though! and hey man if you need any help looking at one in az im down in phoneix id be more then willing to go take a gander at it with ya and check everything over for ya! so you got some back up and a second pair of eyes is always great to have!