1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help, i need opinions here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 76 Likes on 73 Posts

The one that offered the fire-rings to me did it upon me asking for a MLS gasket...

Said he was unable to get me MLS but had the fire rings instead, so i thaught he meant o-rings..

I dont want the rear end spooled since i'm going to be wanting to drive this thing around town every now and then, would a LSD do no good on tarmac with them 16" Cargo tires on?

The LSDs have always done their job in my BMWs even with 305/30ZR19 in the back, so i figured they'd work on my "rig" also

Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

The only MLS gaskets having any luck are the Cummins MLS gaskets on the CR's. Cometic was offering MLS gaskets for earlier trucks, but stopped due to serious reliability problems.

Firerings are the thin metal part around the cylinder bore that keeps combustion gases from eating the gasket; even OEM gaskets have firerings. "Firerings" in the performance world are bigger/ better-than-OEM firerings that come on specially-modified gaskets. O-rings are generic round pieces of wire that crush against the headgasket to keep it in place and don't come into contact with combustion gases.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Diesel Bomber

Got it now, bear in mind i'm not American, not English and not Canadian...

I'm Icelandic and my native language is Icelandic...

I'm trying my best to be understandable so i mistook fire rings for o-rings, i just thought it was what you called them over there...

I do have the proper mechanical knowledge to do what i intend to do but i thought i should ask on your opinions on wich way to go...

Are there any stroker kits available for the Cummins?

Last edited by angelic0-; 05-12-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

put an air locker in the back to lock it up when you want to spin both rears and leave it open when your normal driving......

no there isnt any stroker kits available for the cummins, though im sure you could offset grind/weld a factory crank but its not really worth the effort......remember your already at almost 1 liter per cylinder.....unless you were to dump a 6.7 crank in it.....

remember the VE trucks unless you do some serious mods, is really limited to 4K rpms, and i really wouldnt recommend that......

Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH
put an air locker in the back to lock it up when you want to spin both rears and leave it open when your normal driving......

no there isnt any stroker kits available for the cummins, though im sure you could offset grind/weld a factory crank but its not really worth the effort......remember your already at almost 1 liter per cylinder.....unless you were to dump a 6.7 crank in it.....

remember the VE trucks unless you do some serious mods, is really limited to 4K rpms, and i really wouldnt recommend that......
What if it suddenly grips when going through a turn, won't it break a axle?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it shouldnt break an axle. it will probable make alot of noise turning on pavement though

Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Diesel Bomber

you think OEM axles won't break?

even with hard driving?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could put a Dana 80 or 14 bolt under there.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Diesel Bomber

well, i'll just think of that in the larer run....

Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by angelic0-
What if it suddenly grips when going through a turn, won't it break a axle?
an air locker dosent do anything until you put air to it and it engages......its like a regular open differential il you hit the switch to lock it in......and even something like a Detroit Locker wont engage in a corner (actually disengages in a corner) unless you have damaged it or somehow managed to install it wrong (which i doubt), so you wont have any problems.....but i prefer an airlocker.....

Quick Reply: Help, i need opinions here...