1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What yall think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:40 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by TDiesel
RSWORDS,
Your description mentions that you have a 4" turbo back exhaust on your '89 white competition truck. I've been looking for a 4'' tubo back exhaust, but all I can find is 4'' exhausts with a 3'' down pipe. Can you help find some info on that, if they still make them? Also I want to get a fuel pin for my truck. Is the DennyT Stage II Fuel Pin better than the Bullydog pin? My truck is a '91 W250, intercooled, auto OD, stock. I want to do some mild tweeking on it. Do I need to get bigger nozles before I can instal a fuel pin? Or will a fuel pin and a larger exhaust be enough for the time being? Also, with the stock turbo, and a fuel pin, will I have to worry about high EGT? Thank you for any info you can give me.
Bobby is running a aftermarket 62mm turbo (12mm bigger than factory) and is using a HX40 turbo 4" down pipe, you can however get a 4 inch turbo back system from Stan''s Headers but he wants like 700 bucks for the system, if you can hold out DennyT will have a 4" turbo back exhaust kit out before too long, and a 5 inch kit also, the Bully Dog dosent even compare to the DennyT, the Bully Dog is made of soft metal and will gouge after a few hundred miles, the DennyT is made of 316 Stainless Steel and will not gouge, plus it has alot deeper profile, also look into the 3200 RPM governor spring......i would also recommend tweaking on the pump, look around here and you will find my write up on how to do everything to the pump, and if i havent covered something im pretty sure Bobby has......and as always i recommend a EGT gauge any time your going to be turning the truck up.......

Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOGANSTANFORTH, thank you for your input! How long do you think it will be for Denny T to come out with the 4'' exhaust?
About the 3200 RPM spring, wouldn't turning out the max RPM screw on the injection pump do the same thing (increase your top RPM)??? Also, I read that the first generation intercooled engines have small injectors and that you can't turn the pump up to much and that it builds to much pressure in the pump, and creates shut-off selenoid problems, etc.. If that is the case, does that mean that I need bigger injectors before I get the Denny T fuel rod and start tweaking the pump? If not how much can I tweak? I found this link on tweaking the pump, but I can't remember were I found it, so I don't know if it is yours.
Turning up the pre 94 Ram diesel injector pump
If it's not yours, could you give me the link to your write up on how to do this?
Again, thank you for all your info.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH
you cant get a 4 gauge pillar pod for the 1st gens, you cant even get a 3 gauge, you can get a 2 and a 1 and if your truck has the square steering column a single column pod from a 2nd gen truck will work.....i got a 2, 1, and a steering column pod for my 93 dually.....ill be running fuel pressure, tranny temp, boost/pyrometer combo gauge, tachometer.....
You can get a 4 gauge pillar pod. I'm having one made for me right now, and I'd assume that he is getting it from the same person.

There is a guy over on 1stgen that makes them. I linked the thread to the thread you made in the lounge if you want to check them out.

TDiesel, you can install the DennyT cone without having to worry about **** off solenoid problems. The 366 spring allows the pump to fuel all the way to 3200 RPM, something that adjusting the idle won't do.

All trucks respond different to pump tweaks, so your truck could never need another shut off solenoid, but that is unlikely (if you have an intercooled truck). If you have to have it turned up, and you do blow a solenoid, there is a lever that is on the side of the pump for a manual shut down. You will have to use that, or install a pull cable to shut the truck off. Then if you get bigger injectors, you could install another shut off solenoid, and not have to worry about it.

But before you do ANY fueling mods, you absolutely need gauges, unless you like drippy pistons. You should also ill put your sig, so we can help you more. Is your truck intercooled or not?

Hope that helped.

Parker

Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by TDiesel
RSWORDS,
Your description mentions that you have a 4" turbo back exhaust on your '89 white competition truck. I've been looking for a 4'' tubo back exhaust, but all I can find is 4'' exhausts with a 3'' down pipe. Can you help find some info on that, if they still make them? Also I want to get a fuel pin for my truck. Is the DennyT Stage II Fuel Pin better than the Bullydog pin? My truck is a '91 W250, intercooled, auto OD, stock. I want to do some mild tweeking on it. Do I need to get bigger nozles before I can instal a fuel pin? Or will a fuel pin and a larger exhaust be enough for the time being? Also, with the stock turbo, and a fuel pin, will I have to worry about high EGT? Thank you for any info you can give me.
Yeah logan pretty much nailed it on teh exhuast. I'm running a 2nd gen 4" downpipe on my 89 thathooks into an expandit syestem I got here on the site. In my opinion the expandit exhaust is an awesoem exhaust for a stock turboed truck, even though it uses a 3.5" down pipe and then goes to a 4" under the truck I think it would flow all teh air that the stock turbo will take, then when you upgrade yuor turbo to one with teh 4" outlet you can either get a 2nd gen DP like I did or buy one made for a 1st gen (more expensive) here is a link to my turbo install and exhaust set up.

https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-r...its-turbo.html

Old 05-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by '91 Cummins
You can get a 4 gauge pillar pod. I'm having one made for me right now, and I'd assume that he is getting it from the same person.

There is a guy over on 1stgen that makes them. I linked the thread to the thread you made in the lounge if you want to check them out.

TDiesel, you can install the DennyT cone without having to worry about **** off solenoid problems. The 366 spring allows the pump to fuel all the way to 3200 RPM, something that adjusting the idle won't do.

All trucks respond different to pump tweaks, so your truck could never need another shut off solenoid, but that is unlikely (if you have an intercooled truck). If you have to have it turned up, and you do blow a solenoid, there is a lever that is on the side of the pump for a manual shut down. You will have to use that, or install a pull cable to shut the truck off. Then if you get bigger injectors, you could install another shut off solenoid, and not have to worry about it.

But before you do ANY fueling mods, you absolutely need gauges, unless you like drippy pistons. You should also ill put your sig, so we can help you more. Is your truck intercooled or not?

Hope that helped.

Parker
yeah and the things are 300 bucks......who wants to pay that for a pillar pod.....id rather spend 300 bucks on go fast parts......once i can find someone at home with a 3D scanner im going to have them made out of plastic.......

Old 05-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by '91 Cummins
You want to talk to Dave Goerend. By far the best man to go when talking about a Dodge Automatic.
Goerend Transmission Incorporated It's better to call. It will take a while to get ahold of him, because he is very busy (says a lot doesn't it.) By far worth the wait.
Too bad Goerend Brothers doesn't build non-lock-up transmissions... I have one of his torque converters, but I had to have Suncoast build my transmission.

If I was doing it again, I'd get the whole thing from Hughes down the street.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
BOMBARDIER

Dave told me he would build me a tranny when I talked to him.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH
yeah and the things are 300 bucks......who wants to pay that for a pillar pod.....id rather spend 300 bucks on go fast parts......once i can find someone at home with a 3D scanner im going to have them made out of plastic.......
x2

I understand that all of them are made by hand and what not and I'm sure that with the time he puts into them to make them so nice that the price is very fair. I just wont spend that much on something to hold gauges... These are 1st gens... Stuff is supossed to be cheap....

Old 05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you said no one makes a 4 gauge pillar pod. Well, someone does make them, regardless of the price and your opinions on it, they are being made.

As far as stuff being cheap on 1st gens, I respectfully disagree. If things are done the right way, it won't be cheap. A transmission build for example. I wouldn't want to skimp out on that, but since it's a first gen... doesn't make sense to me.

I firmly believe in the saying, you get what you paid for.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice install!

'91 Cummins, yes I know, I would not do anything w/o gauges. As it is, I will be going against my own rule, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but it hard to resist more power. I resisted for 4 yrs, that is about long enough....

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Quick Reply: What yall think?