1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Intrigue with the HX35/HX40

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

i saw a rebuild kit on a couple of sites for the hx35 that was $50.00...comes with all internal parts..not sure if this helps ya or not

Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfury
Even after all the advice I ended up with a HX35 & HX40 for about $200.So of the the turbo shop, heard of someone in Ohio that builds turbos for a local Big Rig sled puller (Tom Lindsey). Anyhow before I send them out is there any reason to try to polish inside the snail curl on the cold side? If so HOW ??Thought about balling up scruffie pads and work them back & forth. Or am I just pi!!ing on the wind?
Also is there a shortage of tool steel in England? It's a good thing Holset uses bushing rather then ball bearings. Cause the surface area of a bearing would probably bend that skinny shaft.
This turbo set up will have to do until more money,knowledge & experience is accumulated.
Have A Great Day.
One more simple question. How do you determine it's time for larger injectors? If anything,my typing & spelling skills are improving.
Thats a pretty good price for that turbo. Is there anything wrong with it that your going to send it to a turbo shop? I would not waste my time polishing it. As long as its in good shape and spins free and true I would run it!

Its time for bigger injectors...

You injection pump will be happier with larger injectors, It does not have to work as hard to put out the same power.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I've ran a 35-40 for several years now. Makes a nice 300 to 350 horse turbo for towing. I guess I'm lucky, I've seen 50 lbs. of boost alot and not turbo problems. I do think the turbo is getting a little tired but it's been on three different trucks.