1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Throw out?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw out?!

Got another one for yall. 92 d350 with getrag 5 spd. All the sudden there are god awefull noises when i push in the clutch or while givin it gas under load. Doesnt do it if im just coasting. Throw out bearing? What can i expect to spend on this? And i really need to pull a trailer this weekend is that totally out of the question?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Sounds like a throw out to me!

Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Throw out the getrag is what I would do. Probably not gonna cost that much to fix the "throwout bearing" but its not gonna be fun pullin that getrag outta there.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonfriedlin
Throw out the getrag is what I would do. Probably not gonna cost that much to fix the "throwout bearing" but its not gonna be fun pullin that getrag outta there.
I concur...I LOOOVE my NV 1st gen! I've got to pull my NV4500 and do the throwout bearing pretty soon. I'm mostly sure my transmission jack will be able to handle the weight...I'll post up pictures if it can't!!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Diesel Fan

The throw out bearing is cheap, the labor if you don't do it yourself is not going to be. I say get the metal bearing (bushing) instead of the ceramic one, but that's just me. I have not found one of the needle bearing style ones that will actually fit. If you do it yourself get a good tranny jack. I am going to say that you might have other problems beyond the throwout bearing. The getrag main shaft bearing is likely toast,(caused by the whole manufactures F-ing up the install angle of the tranny) and if so the throwout will just be a few thousand mile fix, if that. When you pull your tranny, just check how much shaft play there is (check the tech manuals specs), and if oil is leaking out of the seal. Unless your loaded or have a very understanding wife the NV 4500 swap is not a drop of the hat purchase. That said I highly recommend you do spend the cash at some point, the getrag is nothing more than a german made boat anchor. If you are loaded do the 5600 swap, and let me know how it goes.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
BOMBARDIER

justin the Getrag is not as bad as everyone says it is. It wont take the abuse the 4500 will but by overfilling it and not lugging the engine down real low it will live a LONG life in all but the highest HP trucks.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Diesel Fan

Dieseldog, how many miles are on your truck? Bobby my truck was stock until the 4500 went in, and the getrag was done at 250,000. It had been rebuilt (new bearings, and gears) about 70,000 before, but the shift shafts and forks were toast at 250. That said my Buddy Neal has a 93 with 300+ will the orginal getrag that had never had the 5w-30 changed until a year or so ago. That tranny is good to go, but the truck had only hauled a load on fire wood or two in it's life. If your going to tow 4500 or 5600 is the way to go. You gotta a auto slush box anyway

Old 02-28-2009, 04:35 PM
BOMBARDIER

You nor the previos owner never fixed any of teh things that is wrong with teh getrag to make it live. All teh towing you did with that I dont think 250,000 miles from a stock tranny is bad at all. For the price if nothing is wrong (or something simple as teh throw out bearing is wrong) run it and over fill it by a quart and dont lug it down low. If if takes a crap... swap a 4500 in

Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Diesel Fan

Man that truck doesnt have but like 170,00 i have never changed the oil it has never given me any problems besides sticking in 5th every once in a while. Would it even be worth it to fix the german boat anchor? Im definately not loaded but would it be out of the question to find a NV 4500 in a salvage yard for anything close to a decent price? This is my daily driver and i plan on fixing everything that is falling apart on the dodge body and running the cummins until it quits.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Diesel Fan

Sticking in 5th??? 170,000 you might be OK for a while. The story behind my failed getrag started like that. First it started sticking or not going into gear, then when pulling 5000 LBS or so it would come completely out of gear(mainly in 5th). I installed fast coolers and changed to 5w-30 mobil one with a quart or so extra when I first got the truck(70,000 miles after tranny rebuild). When the problems started I tried everything, redline MTL for a while, SH rated motor oil (as the factory service manual states) finally got tired of spending money on wishfull thinking, and bought the 4500 kit. Finding a 4500 out of a second gen truck is a good bet, but you'll need a bellhousing(advanced adapters makes one that will work), iron t-case adapter (the aluminum ones will crack), some linkage brackets, and some custom sheet metal mods to your floorboards. Quad 4x4 has about the best kit you can get, but it will cost you. I bought the one from standard trans out of Texas, and it's pretty good. If your getrag shifts good today chances are it will tomorrow, but pay attention to the small problems that get worse. How did the tranny pulling go?