1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning?

hey this motor aint in a pickup..
we just bought a 1991 blue bird school bus..with a 5.9 cummins..so we can customize it for nascar races...
but i was wondering what can we do to if for more POWER>..wats the hp we can make with it?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can advance your timing an 1/8 of an inch that will help lower your egt's some and give you a little extra power, just loosen up the 3 nuts that hold it to the timing case and push it closer to the head. If you have gauges (i wouldnt do it with out gauges) you can turn your fuel screw in a few turns.Its hard to explain where the screw is at but it is near the middle of the injector pump and toward the back behind all the injector lines. It should have a tamper proof cap over it, just rip the cap off and turn it in with a long skinny flat blad screw driver. that best to have the engine running so you can hear if the engine will run away . i dnt know if you mind it smoking or not but on the top of the injector pump are 4 flat head screws underneeth that is a diaphram take it out and theres a spring underneeth it make that spring MIA and if you look at the pin at the bottom it will be off set rotate the deepest point of the pin to the rear of the injector pump. anothe very good mod and a cheap one($20) is to get a 366 governer spring for it, just that will wake that moter right up. hope i helped you out a little,John

Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts
Old 11-05-2008, 11:15 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by stackx2
you can advance your timing an 1/8 of an inch that will help lower your egt's some and give you a little extra power, just loosen up the 3 nuts that hold it to the timing case and push it closer to the head. If you have gauges (i wouldnt do it with out gauges) you can turn your fuel screw in a few turns.Its hard to explain where the screw is at but it is near the middle of the injector pump and toward the back behind all the injector lines. It should have a tamper proof cap over it, just rip the cap off and turn it in with a long skinny flat blad screw driver. that best to have the engine running so you can hear if the engine will run away . i dnt know if you mind it smoking or not but on the top of the injector pump are 4 flat head screws underneeth that is a diaphram take it out and theres a spring underneeth it make that spring MIA and if you look at the pin at the bottom it will be off set rotate the deepest point of the pin to the rear of the injector pump. anothe very good mod and a cheap one($20) is to get a 366 governer spring for it, just that will wake that moter right up. hope i helped you out a little,John

I would not remove the spring... Make it kinda hard for the pin to go back up at idle. You can crank down on the star wheel under the spring a little bit and it will fuel harder with less boost. First thing you need are gauges. For something that will be doing heavy towing I would bump the timing a little less then 1/8 inch, rotate the fuel pin to the deepest setting, Go down a turn or two on the star wheel, and give it a two or so turns in on the full power screw. Also as noted teh 366 (3200 RPM) spring is a must. Does teh bus run a Auto or a Manual Tranny? What turbo is on teh engine and what exhaust housing is on the turbo? Aftercooler? All these will give you what you are looking for.

Bobby

Old 11-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

umm it has an allison automatic. And we have to go pick it up yet but all i know so far is that its a 5.9 cummins. ill fill u in if u wanna know wen we get er home

Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It would be cool if the motor was a p-pump. VE pumps are great though.