1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

HX-40G

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HX-40G

Saw this turbo on e-pay.Can someone tell me if I should be looking at it.I have a '90 Dodge Cummins 5speed,non I/C with a set of 4" stacks mounted horizontally with the running boards.Looking to install a p-stroke intercooler and up grade the turbo.EGT's went up on the up hill while empty.Thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:14 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts

Im not sure what the 'G' stands for its probably off of a industrial application of some sort, but if it will mount up and is just a regular HX 40 then ya it should be fine, wont be a big improvement but what they the hey

Old 10-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

the hx-40 takes alot of fuel and spools up like a dog but, when it light up it will take off. its basically a slower s300 as far as I understand.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

this isnt the 40 u want. first it has the wrong compressor wheel for our application. second it has the wrong exhaust housing. its a t4 and the scroll is too big. by the way silverbullet, if u have the proper 40 it doesnt take a lot of fuel or spool like a dog. but like i said u have to have the right 40.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfury
Saw this turbo on e-pay.Can someone tell me if I should be looking at it.I have a '90 Dodge Cummins 5speed,non I/C with a set of 4" stacks mounted horizontally with the running boards.Looking to install a p-stroke intercooler and up grade the turbo.EGT's went up on the up hill while empty.Thanks in advance.
With out any added fuel (injectors, pump tuning, ect) you do not need that large turbo. It will SUCK towing. How high did your EGT's go while going up that hill? They are gonna climb some even stock. If I was you I would look for a HX35 off a 2nd gen truck or look at a compressor upgrade for you stock H1C. Maybe even a exhaust side up grade to help the spool. Also while looking on ebay at HX40's (or any turbo for that matter) be careful... there are alot of Chinese knock offs that are selling. Not saying they are bad but they have not been proven to be good yet either.