1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What Do You Love About Your 1st Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

yeah, i think we all love having to turn around in a truck stop because anyother place is too small for the required football field width. The simplicity of operation and the "power on a budget" RELIABILITY above all, they rarely quit working. they keep doing their job and asking for more. I love that in order to go anywhere with the truck stock reqires the engine fan tickling your toes when you just shy of "put your foot in the radiator" they don't melt down just beacuse it had a bad day. cummins actually anticipated guys like us and built it to take more than anyother CI engine out there.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i like the way the 91 will lug down and just keep pullin

Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 W350

Sat for 12 years, i put a new battery in it and it started right up no problem. old schooldiesel, sounds great, and better than all that fiberglass. everything in these tucks were built to last

Old 08-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how i set off car alarms every time i drive down my block
I love how i get better mpg then the yuppie next to me in his bmw suv
I love pulling up next to cars w/my 3" pipe 3" from there drvr side window blowing smoke
I love down shifting in tunnels
I love how my dogs know when im almost home from a mile away
#1 I love pulling up next to toyota and fords and they wont look me in the eye ....I guess there embarrassed????
93 ram 250 cummins nv4500 33's daily drvr........lookin to do stacks

Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

-I love watching Ford boy in the parking lot cycle his glow plugs in July, then crank his stroke over 5 or 6 times, and then jumping into my relic, grabbing that key with both hands and shes runnin like... yesterday

-I love the fact that one of my doors is still good

-I love the solid 60 on leaf springs!

-I love that theres so much engine noise coming through the firewall that i cant even tell its straightpiped

-I love that "tinny" sound from the roof when it rains that you only get in the old ones

-I love having to shut it off in a drive through

-I love not having to hear every cherry-bombed 350 Cheyenne when im rollin through town

-I love that 5 foot chunk of smoke on startup

-I love how slow the factory turbo spools up, and how that cloud it leaves is still there when im half a mile up the road

and I love the fact that my girlfriend thinks its the sexiest truck in the world, but she hates riding in it because "it makes her ***** hurt". I enjoy watching her grab on to 'em every time she sees a crack in the road or a little pothole

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

And a full rebuild of a 727 is only 400 bucks in parts and 2hrs wrench time!

almost forgot that one!

Last edited by DirtyDozen; 09-09-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey boss i would be interested in giving that first gen a new home

Old 10-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

It's stone-axe reliable - always does what's expected, and can't break it.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I love the fact that my girlfriend thinks its the sexiest truck in the world, but she hates riding in it because "it makes her ***** hurt". I enjoy watching her grab on to 'em every time she sees a crack in the road or a little pothole"

DUDE...MY GIRL SAYS AND DOES THE SAME THING. Its good to know Im not alone.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cumminsfreak86
"I love the fact that my girlfriend thinks its the sexiest truck in the world, but she hates riding in it because "it makes her ***** hurt". I enjoy watching her grab on to 'em every time she sees a crack in the road or a little pothole"

DUDE...MY GIRL SAYS AND DOES THE SAME THING. Its good to know Im not alone.
same boat fellas. hahaha

Old 10-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my first gen cuz it's simple to work on, solid front axle, there arn't too many around here (most of which are owned by my friends) the way it sounds, the way guys in newer truck look like when the ole girl just passed them at 110 mph, the lack of emittions, I don't know the oly things i don't like about my 90' is it's a Dodge, and a standard cab, other then that it's the perfect truck for me

Quick Reply: What Do You Love About Your 1st Gen?