1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

HELP! Truck rides like a rock

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP! Truck rides like a rock

Ok, '93 xcab dually 4x4. This thing rides like the axle is welded to the friggin frame. My back cant take it anymore. Anyone here know how to make these things ride more like a newer dually, where you can actually ride in the dang thing down a dirt road?

Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe some new shocks or air ride:j: id say the shocks are worn out.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a second gen seat will help a lot, those stock seats suck.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wyoranch
Ok, '93 xcab dually 4x4. This thing rides like the axle is welded to the friggin frame. My back cant take it anymore. Anyone here know how to make these things ride more like a newer dually, where you can actually ride in the dang thing down a dirt road?
i put ride rite goodyear bags on mine you can adj your ride height slightly and she should ride like a caddy but remember it is a straight axle i havent seen a smooth one yet.also change your shocks.get the simple bag kit with manual air fill and the brackets hardware and you should get a pretty damn good deal i think mine all together was under 200 bucks 91 d250 12 valve

Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92 D/UNIT
how is that ol smokey fuel pin is it better than the bully dog 40 horse pin that just came out

Old 06-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wyoranch

Is there any gap between the springs? My father's farm truck is a '92 xcab dually 4x2 that spent most of its life pulling a large horse trailer to shows for a Walking Horse barn and was usually left hooked to the trailer when not in use. The springs were worn and saging and the ride was awful. Some options we looked at were new springs which were costly, re-arching the old springs but heard they sag right back, so we simply got the second from the top spring from a newer wreaked truck. Basically springs with some arch still left in them. We added the springs, one on each side, as the second spring to the original spring pack. Didn't take any springs out just put the new ones in. This causes the unloaded truck to ride up on the new more arched second spring insead of saged down on the entire spring pack thus helping the ride.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 D/UNIT
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to call you crazy. The captains chairs in my 92 are the most comfortable truck seats I have ever sat in. More so than the 40/20/40 seat in my 98 and more so than the memory foam seats that come in the 06 and up Dodges.
As for the ride...one ton solid axles trucks don't ride but so good. Worn out shocks aren't good. You can go with a softer set of springs, but you'll need helpers to carry a load. I have firestone airbags on my ctd and helper springs on my gas burner. I like the airbags better. Tires are a factor too. If you're not fully loaded then you don't need max pressure. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks. i agree w/the seat thing. mine has the captains chairs and center console and they are the most comfy of any cummins i ever had, and ive had 6 of em

Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea man me and my dad are first generation people, bout the only way 2 get smoother ride is softer springs or maybe air ride...the reason newer model trucks ride better is the springs are softer ...u can load my 93 down with the same load as our 97 01 or 07and my 93 wont squat as much....they'll tote a load but i know it sucks ridin in it ...2 tell u the truth yea u might need some new shocks but ur not gonna be able 2 tell much of a difference at all if any, trust me

Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way I have found to smooth out the ride is to load down the bed with as much weight as you can drag the bumper.Dad had a 89 2500 the only way it had a good ride was if it was loaded with fire wood

Quick Reply: HELP! Truck rides like a rock