1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

VE injection pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VE injection pump issue

I have a non intercooled 5.9 ve pump in my chevy truck i did the swap a year or two ago havnt had any problems till the past few months. to start with i was leaking a little dribble of fuel at the injection pump top seal. idk the name but its the cap under the fuel pin where the govenor and spring is at. anyway she wouldnt start up, i parked the truck and and end up pulling that pump off and swapping it with another pump that i had sitting on another motor.

started her up and she ran good but she never built boost like the old one. the old one i make 40 psi the new/old one i pulled off the other motor would only build 10. figured it was just due to it being not tuned (the caps are still on the screws). anyway i got her running drove her for about an hour one day with no issue and parked it. next day i jump in the truck get not a mile down the road and floor it to see what it would do. and it does nothing, then i let off the gas for a stop sign and she just dies.

couldnt get it started tried to bleed the injectors and nothing got it towed home tried to bleed the injectors even with either it wouldnt start. next day used either and she started, pulled it into a good parking spot and ordered a reseal kit for the old pump that was already off. put that one together and put that in the truck.

Now i can get it to start but im almost certain its only running on 2 or 3 cylinders. when i attempt to bleed the injectors 3 and 4 nothing but foam comes out and i know thats from air. if i crack number 2 or 5 the engine will run even more messed up and slow down then die. number 1 and 6 seam to have little or no effect but fuel will come out. i can leave number 3 and 4 injectors cracked for a minute and the foam never stops. since this was my first pump reseal i can see i could mess something up but i dont know where to start. im about to send a pump out to have a shop look at it but if i can save myself 700 then that would be nice. if a shop is needed anyone have a suggestion on a good one? i talked to a diesel shop near me and they said its too small for them to work on so theyll just send it out and it would be either 700 or 800 i forget

Old 03-15-2017, 07:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like it is sucking air, I would triple check all connections back to the tank.
What condition is the fuel filter in?
With the fuel tank was it from a gasser and is there a screen on the pickup?
Cheers Steve

Old 03-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i kept the original tbi pumps with the screens in place and they still feed the injection pump like a lift pump.

im sure its sucking air but why dont all the injectors do this? the fuel filter has some time on it maybe a year. i wanted to change it but with this bad weather we're receiving its kind of placed on hold. but once that clears out ill replace the filter double check the fuel lines on the injection pump to the priming pump and run a remote tank to that. if the problem is still there then ill know its the injection pump. but the part thats confusing me is why is it i have two injectors with no issue or foam but the other ones are having issues