1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

How to crank after long storage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to crank after long storage?

I purchased a 1992 LE one ton dually, Cummins, automatic, from an elderly neighbor that put the truck in his shop building 3-4 years ago and it has just sat there since. This truck is immaculate with the exception of a damaged dually fender on the drivers side, has 88K original miles, new Michelins (all 6 of them). ALWAYS garaged. The truck is blocked in with years worth of storage "things". The son is taking care of the elderly fathers business and home after he was forced to go to a senior care center. He wants, and I granted him a couple of weeks to clear a path to the truck.
My question for you folks is: This truck has sat for at least three years or more - what is the starting procedure after long term storage?. Needless to say a new battery - but do I just start cranking on it or is there something else I need to do before start up?

Sure appreciate your help folks.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You deffenatly need to due basic maintenance ie. Oil change glow plugs etc. Also thake a good look at truck from front to back paying attention to wires to make sure no critters have made a home. Also check fuel make sure it's good and you will probably have to prime fuel system. Also I don't know if this engine has a place to prime oil but if it dose then it's well worth the cost of tool to do so.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

What diesel virgin said, I would play close attention to fuel.
Diesel fuel will build up mold and algae when sitting for a long
time.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

a 12v cummins has no glow plugs. make sure rad is full and oil level.

Last edited by diesel pap; 05-10-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow- sounds a lot like how I got my '92 standard cab! Nice find, and good luck/skill on getting her back on the road. You will most likely need new tires (ours had pristine looking sidewalls, but circumferential cracking near the lip of each wheel).