1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Need help*** Big 1st gen build, need info and knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help*** Big 1st gen build, need info and knowledge

Hey guys, names Josh and im from florida. Just picked up a 1992 D250 12V Cummins 2wd 3speed auto about 3 months ago. Things a mess but got it for a great price. No power windows or locks. Motors are done and driver door window and lock mechanisms are rusted and broken. The wiring is crap. NO power to my gauges, brake harnesses, blinkers, and ignition. Power steering leak from hell, spongy brakes, cracked radiator, leaking oil, tranny is toast, alternator and starter are done. VE has been messed with by previous owner and he had no idea what he was doing. So far I took it apart and saw the starwheel was cracked I need to start fixing things now. I want to do a built 5 speed swap and 4x4 conversion. Get the flatbed off and put a regular bed on. Build the 12v without cutting any corners. Custom 10 inch lift, 24x14 American forces, paint, custom lighting, grill, and bumpers. I want something no one else has and I want to do most of the work by myself to truly appreciate and take pride in my truck. I have no idea where to start since theres so much so any advice and help to get tjis build started would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can start by getting a new truck.

All jokes aside, it's going to be a lot less of a headache and much cheaper to find yourself a decent 4x4 truck to start with. I personally think you've sh** in your hat. You're going to need a donor for the 4wd swap anyway and that job is no easy task. Steering geometry is not something to be taken lightly.

If you absolutely insist on making that particular truck what you're envisioning, I'd start by pulling the engine and resealing it. Replace the cooling system, accessories, fluids, filters, belt, clamps, have the pump rebuilt, check the pop pressures on the injectors, check turbo shaft play, make sure the intercooler is solid, rebuild the transmission and replace the torque converter, check the linkages, rewire the entire truck and make it drivable. Then you can consider superficial stuff like 4x4 conversions, lifts, paint, wheels and tires, etc. Then at least you'll have something to sell (although after all that, I'll kiss your *** if you get your money back out of it) if you decide the "project" is too much.

Your other option is to strip it down and rebuild/replace everything from the frame, up. If you have a ton of time and a bottomless bank account, it's technically doable, but you have to ask yourself: is the juice worth the squeeze?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Id say if you have the time, money, and ability to rebuild this truck.... buy one that runs good and use the other one for... um... parts?.... seriously, just paint and body, custom stuff and a lift (4x4 conversion aside)... is enough work for anyone to be proud of... trust me! Ive been there! Determination can only take you so far before it becomes over whelming...... get another truck if you can

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

Old 06-27-2014, 12:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You would be much better off finding a 4x4 truck in a lil bit better condition. i dont know how much you paid for the truck you have now, but if you really did get it for a good price, sell it and make money to buy a 4x4. Or just use it for a parts truck like previously said. What you have in store for this truck sounds really cool! But if you would start out with a 4x4 truck it would make your world a whole lot easier. From the info in your post it sounds like pretty much everything on the truck needs replaced, you would just be much better off finding a good 4x4 for a decent price. OK i am done repeating myself and everybody else LoL. Now good luck!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might be selling my 93 w250 club cab. It already is a 4x4, and has an nv4500 swap with a clean, rust free body. Should be a lot easier to finish out the way you want than what you have.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yessss! Do that!! Its a perfect base of operations!!!

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk