1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

no start??? need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no start??? need help

quick run down, i have a 89 cummins in a 95 ford. the motor has brand new rings, bearings, and all new gaskets, denny t stage 2 fuel pin, stage 1 ddp injectors that are new. the pump timing is all stock.

so now the issue. the truck with the first 2-3 cranks smokes black and sorta grey color and tries to start but after that barely smokes and just cranks over.there is no fuel leaks in the system and whole fuel system is bled. does this sound like a air leak in system somewhere i cant think of? thanks

Old 06-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a loose FSS connection to me.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by the.beard
Sounds like a loose FSS connection to me.
What's the fss?

Old 06-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 95 ford fummins
What's the fss?
Is that the fuel shut off seloniod ? Cuz I replaced it with a new one and you you turn key on with 12 volts going to it you can here it click on. Also with 12 volts going to the ksb for cold start. But I eliminated the grid heater but I don't think that would be a problem

Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

You can also just hold the Fuel shut of solenoid to see if that is your problem before spending money on it, other than that is your injection timeing correct, your not timed to number six instead of one..

Old 06-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by RanchhandTCR
You can also just hold the Fuel shut of solenoid to see if that is your problem before spending money on it, other than that is your injection timeing correct, your not timed to number six instead of one..
When I tore motor down I set the key lock on pump and when I put pump back in I set motor at tdc and set pump gear to stock setting also

Old 06-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Diesel Bomber

Ok so when you turn the key on to accesories do you see the fuel shut off solenoid move? if it does not mover then we either have a fuel issue, timeing issue or compression issue.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by RanchhandTCR
Ok so when you turn the key on to accesories do you see the fuel shut off solenoid move? if it does not mover then we either have a fuel issue, timeing issue or compression issue.
Ill have to chek it but its brand new so I don't see why it wouldn't work. And it's got a fresh valve job, with new valve springs and all valves are adjusted to spec

Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Diesel Bomber

My spelling horrible today, just check to see if it moves so we know that is not our issue, then we can press on. If it moves when you turn the key on then we need to find the next issue, also we need to see if it stays in the on position when you crank, make sure it does not move to the off positions while you are cranking. Is it does not then we need to see where our issues are at. I would start by turning the motor by hand and checking to see if it sounds like it has good compression

Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Diesel Fan

So just to test I ran 12 volts from battery to fss and you can here it click open while cranking motor over . And it has brand new rings in the motor.

Quick Reply: no start??? need help