1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wiring question

my best friend has a 93, 1-ton, 2 wd. The wiring is messed up. My question is who makes a good wiring harness. I have seen the painless harnesses for the older trucks, has anyone tried one of these? Has anyone re-wired one of these trucks? Does anybody else make a better harness?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

guess nobody ever tried to re-wire one of these.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would probably be a whole lot easier to try to get an original harness from someone or a junk yard, if the harness is so hacked, that you couldn't make some quality repairs to fix it. That is usually how I do it, a few nice soldered & shrink tubed connections and as good as new. Most hacks I have come across were supposed to be temporary, but people never get back to repair it the right way, and they are usually easily "permanentalized" .

Painless is a good quality brand, but it is quite time consuming to wire, especially the dashes.

Best of luck.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1, they don't make a complete brand new harness for these trucks to my knowledge. Most people try and fix theirs first. If its too far gone then the next step is to find one used. Although from a business it'll be a hefty price in the range of $500ish.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks for the replies. I haven't looked at it but i know that it has had a short for a while so you had to unhook the battery to keep it from going dead. Another time he had the headlights on and it went to smoking. I just thought it might be easier and quicker to start over.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the headlight switches have a tendency to burn up on these. You can switch the headlights to relays, to take the heavy load off the switch, Fairly cheap and easy.

As for the battery drain, how long does it take to drain? Is the battery in good condition? These are things to double check first. Also if the headlight switch got messed up, it could also be your potential short.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

A parasitic draw test is extremely simple and the draw would be a cake walk on something this old. I don't see any call for a new harness.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

when he was still driving it all the time the battery could go dead in a couple days so he started unhooking the battery. thanks for the info. Guess we will try to just fix what is already in it.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by six speed
when he was still driving it all the time the battery could go dead in a couple days so he started unhooking the battery. thanks for the info. Guess we will try to just fix what is already in it.
Do you have experience with a parasitic draw test?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-18-2014, 07:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

no sir.

Quick Reply: wiring question