Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   wiring question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/118611-wiring-question.html)

six speed 01-27-2014 08:14 PM

wiring question

my best friend has a 93, 1-ton, 2 wd. The wiring is messed up. My question is who makes a good wiring harness. I have seen the painless harnesses for the older trucks, has anyone tried one of these? Has anyone re-wired one of these trucks? Does anybody else make a better harness?

six speed 02-05-2014 09:05 PM

guess nobody ever tried to re-wire one of these.

Carrnutt 02-07-2014 10:06 PM

It would probably be a whole lot easier to try to get an original harness from someone or a junk yard, if the harness is so hacked, that you couldn't make some quality repairs to fix it. That is usually how I do it, a few nice soldered & shrink tubed connections and as good as new. Most hacks I have come across were supposed to be temporary, but people never get back to repair it the right way, and they are usually easily "permanentalized" lol.

Painless is a good quality brand, but it is quite time consuming to wire, especially the dashes.

Best of luck.

1stGenForTheWin 02-11-2014 07:19 PM

+1, they don't make a complete brand new harness for these trucks to my knowledge. Most people try and fix theirs first. If its too far gone then the next step is to find one used. Although from a business it'll be a hefty price in the range of $500ish. :(

six speed 02-11-2014 09:20 PM

thanks for the replies. I haven't looked at it but i know that it has had a short for a while so you had to unhook the battery to keep it from going dead. Another time he had the headlights on and it went to smoking. I just thought it might be easier and quicker to start over.

Carrnutt 02-12-2014 07:17 AM

I think the headlight switches have a tendency to burn up on these. You can switch the headlights to relays, to take the heavy load off the switch, Fairly cheap and easy.

As for the battery drain, how long does it take to drain? Is the battery in good condition? These are things to double check first. Also if the headlight switch got messed up, it could also be your potential short.

mysterync 02-12-2014 07:20 AM

A parasitic draw test is extremely simple and the draw would be a cake walk on something this old. I don't see any call for a new harness.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

six speed 02-12-2014 09:19 PM

when he was still driving it all the time the battery could go dead in a couple days so he started unhooking the battery. thanks for the info. Guess we will try to just fix what is already in it.

mysterync 02-12-2014 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by six speed (Post 1048808)
when he was still driving it all the time the battery could go dead in a couple days so he started unhooking the battery. thanks for the info. Guess we will try to just fix what is already in it.

Do you have experience with a parasitic draw test?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

six speed 02-18-2014 07:21 AM

no sir.