1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Suspension and stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suspension and stuff...

So I'll have a little "shidono" money later this month (She don't know I have it) and I am going to do some upgrading. On my 2wd 250 regular cab, Moog 7226s are the heavy duty coils, correct? I get blank looks at AutoZone, and would rather go in armed with the correct part number. Is everyone still high on the Bilstein 5100's or can you guys recommend a better shock for a truck that usually runs unloaded most of the time? And how much of a pain is it going to be to swap out the coils? While I'm that far in, I plan on looking at the ball joints and steering system, but I KNOW the coils are in need of replacement. The PO has the little spacer crammed in the passenger side spring. If any of ya'll have swapped to the 7226s, how much of a difference did it make in ride quality and ride height? Something tells me this won't be as fun or easy as tossing on a set of leaf springs... any recommendations as to the easiest way to get it done?

Cree

Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run the 7226's, they're a definite improvement. The Big heavy Cummins sags the springs after a few years and the front starts being like a fishing bobber after a while.
The springs put the ride height back where it should be, just be sure to add some new spring isolater pad in the A-Arm under the spring....metal to metal isn't good.

I do these trucks for a living, I cut the origionals after I take the balljoints loose, that way is quicker. Let the jack down, yank out the old cut springs, then stuff the new isolater in, new spring, and start jacking her up. Put a safety chain thru the center. I usually never used them, but about 2 years ago, I had one squirt out the door of the shop. I now have the utmost respect for front coil springs....