1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Injectors & stuff;

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injectors & stuff;

So, I've read through the info on turning up the pump, adjusting the valves, & stuff. I appreciate the good info here.

I've got a 93 Cummins with a 5-speed behind it. I tow regularly with the old white battle wagon, 12-20k goosenecks. After I turn the pump up and install a fuel pin, I'd like to through a set of injectors at it. I was looking at these; 1991-1993 INJECTORS, INJECTORPARTS.COM! YOUR SOURCE FOR PERFORMANCE INJECTION!

Is there some point where the bigger nozzles deliver worse efficiency if your foot isn't deep in the throttle? The more power, the better, but I don't know if the higher HP injectors will burn more fuel at low power. Leaning toward the 140 HP version, but if there isn't a big penalty for going higher, I certainly would.

I haven't upgraded the turbo or exhaust, yet, but intend to at some point.

Recommendations?

Also, as anybody here had happy results with grinding the factory fuel pin?

One more question; On some of the aftermarket pins, it looks to me like most of the power might be at the top of the pedal. This is fine for most things, but i used to have a 2001 HO Cummins. It always annoyed me with how "jumpy" the throttle was when I was bouncing around offroad. Will an upgraded fuel pin deliver a similar performance in a modded first gen?

Thanks!

I'll have more to post later. I just finished putting together a two-tank system for burning waste engine oil in this. Ill post it all after I've done a little more testing, if anybody is interested.

Last edited by mepps1; 02-02-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I got a fuel pin from BD Power. Looking at the stock pin, you can't really grind the stock one because of its cone shape. The pin isn't that big a deal, because it only comes into play before you build up boost.

The 91.5-93 trucks are quite underfueled... my injectors are a variation of the 'marine 370' with the correct (155°) spray angle. They are great - glad I didn't go for something smaller. I still haven't touched the power screw I got my pyro immediately after the injectors. I would have bought PODs, but these ones were used - at a price I couldn't refuse.

My turbo is a '01 HX35. Made my own 'shorty' flange for the rear so a 1st-gen downpipe would still fit. The 12cm housing is fun for now, but may have to get a bigger one when I adjust the power screw and/or do more towing.

I got the diamond eye 4" kit. I got it half way on (no muffler or tailpipe) and decided I liked the sound and power of a straight pipe.

I don't find my throttle jumpy... I think that's more of a 'feature' of electronic diesels and their throttle position sensors. My powerstroke was weird that way too.

I had a go-round with burning waste oil on my powerstroke years ago. I would dump a 5gal bucket in with a tank of fuel. It ran, stank, and clogged up the fuel bowl real good. With what I know now from working on ships, I won't ever do it again without running that stuff through a centrifuge first. Its the only way to get the ultra-fine carbon out. This is how we 'filter' lube-oil and fuel on large marine engines.

Last edited by u2slow; 02-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by u2slow
I got a fuel pin from BD Power. Looking at the stock pin, you can't really grind the stock one because of its cone shape. The pin isn't that big a deal, because it only comes into play before you build up boost.

The 91.5-93 trucks are quite underfueled... my injectors are a variation of the 'marine 370' with the correct (155°) spray angle. They are great - glad I didn't go for something smaller. I still haven't touched the power screw I got my pyro immediately after the injectors.

My turbo is a '01 HX35. Made my own 'shorty' flange for the rear so a 1st-gen downpipe would still fit.

I got the diamond eye 4" kit. I got it half way on (no muffler or tailpipe) and decided I liked the sound and power of a straight pipe.

I don't find my throttle jumpy... I think that's more of a 'feature' of electronic diesels and their throttle position sensors. My powerstroke was weird that way too.

I had a go-round with burning waste oil on my powerstroke years ago. I would dump a 5gal bucket in with a tank of fuel. It ran, stank, and clogged up the fuel bowl real good. With what I know now from working on ships, I won't ever do it again without running that stuff through a centrifuge first. Its the only way to get the ultra-fine carbon out. This is how we 'filter' lube-oil and fuel on large marine engines.
Thanks for the response! I'll be picking your brain later on the turbo.

In regard, to oil burning, I'll have more to post later, but I agree. it takes some cleaning. I'm running everything through a centrifuge and filtering everything to 2 microns. It still stinks and smokes running WEO at idle, so that's why I went to two tanks. I start idle, and shutoff on diesel. Also have completely separate pump, lines, and filters. Running down the road, you can't tell the difference between oil and fuel. Running about 80-90% oil in the big tank.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by u2slow

The 91.5-93 trucks are quite underfueled... my injectors are a variation of the 'marine 370' with the correct (155°) spray angle. They are great - glad I didn't go for something smaller. I still haven't touched the power screw I got my pyro immediately after the injectors. I would have bought PODs, but these ones were used - at a price I couldn't refuse.

I'm not sufficiently up-to-date in Cummins geek-speak enough to follow you completely on the injectors. What exactly have you got, and do you find the pyro pointing to the right when you get on it?

Last edited by mepps1; 02-02-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The horsepower ratings on injectors aren't really that helpful. To really know what you have and want, it's best to get right down to the size and number of holes in the nozzles. good info here:
1stGen.org • View topic - INJECTOR CHART

The 'marine 370' injectors are supposed to be able to flow enough fuel to generate up to 370hp on a 6BT.
My injectors nozzles are etched '9745', have a VCO tip, 155° spray angle, and 5 holes that are 0.012" in size.

POD stands for 'Princess Of Darkness' a nickname given to a model of Lucas industrial injector. They have only 4 large holes in them, smoke somewhat, but quite cheap to buy.
PDR Diesel Performance: Lucas POD injector set of 6

With my current combination, I have only ever been able to get to 1200 degrees briefly on a highway grade doing about 60-70mph in 5th. Daily driving, there's one hill on this island I can get to 1000 degrees when I get on it hard. That's not towing, and no more than 1000# payload in the bed.

Last edited by u2slow; 02-02-2013 at 02:27 PM.