1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

91.5 cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91.5 cummins

did a little searching around and couldnt find the answer i was looking for but here's the question
im looking at buying a 91.5 12valve off this guy 2wd auto trans 195k miles. he said he thinks the fuel injection pump went out and if i had to guess it would probably be because he fiddled with the darn thing to roll some coal out of the single stack he has poking out of the bed. im gonna request more pictures but from what hes sent so far it looks pretty clean for a 22yr old truck. BUT the fuel injection pump...i know these things are no cheap replacement so im wanting to know what to do to figure out exactly what is wrong with it. ill go take a look at it in person and prod around whatever i need to if someone could tell me what it is im looking for. ( ive never delt with this kind of beast before). i am pretty mechanically inclined and id have no problem rebuilding the whole unit if need be so long as theres no special tools or flow bench required just need to know what im looking for!
thanks ahead of time

Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drop down in the posts and read "smoking and breaking up" there is some info on the pumps in there. Other than that google turning up the pump an you should find all the usual things people play with on pump adjustments, Geno's garage (Dodge ram) has the articles. They articles are all here somewhere, just a case of searching

Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by blackduck
Drop down in the posts and read "smoking and breaking up" there is some info on the pumps in there. Other than that google turning up the pump an you should find all the usual things people play with on pump adjustments, Geno's garage (Dodge ram) has the articles. They articles are all here somewhere, just a case of searching
thanks for this information i have read that post previously and the problem with this truck is different completly. he is saying the truck just will not start but a month ago it was running perfect and he doesnt have time to tinker with it.. so ill try to get more info on what its doing and give better information from there. thanks for the quick reply and help

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok so the information i just received is that it just died one day. its getting fuel past the lift pump but just wont start and he was told by a mechanic friend that it was most likely the injector pump. sooo that being said it turns over and just wont start. if i had to guess that would mean that something major in the injector pump needs to be replaced but like i said before ive never dealt with these beasts so any help on that?

Last edited by powerjoker; 01-22-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be as simple as the shutoff solenoid or broken or loose wire. If it has a manual shut of on it is it releasing properly?

Even thought it maybe getting fuel past the lift pump does it have pressure?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Can you explain the problem he is having? If the IP is out it would probly run just really rough with lots of white smoke. VE IPs a pretty cheap compared to other pumps I think you can get a nice 14mm for like $1500 and 12mm for a bit less but dont qoute me on that and a used 12mm for $500. but if fuel presure is bad or not there it could be a lift pump. But if it doesnt run at all the first place I always check is fuel shut off, then I would check for some sort of wireing issue. Its pretty hard to get a 12v to not run at all IMO. It also could have jumped a tooth on the IP

Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 1993firstgennewbie
Can you explain the problem he is having? If the IP is out it would probly run just really rough with lots of white smoke. VE IPs a pretty cheap compared to other pumps I think you can get a nice 14mm for like $1500 and 12mm for a bit less but dont qoute me on that and a used 12mm for $500. but if fuel presure is bad or not there it could be a lift pump. But if it doesnt run at all the first place I always check is fuel shut off, then I would check for some sort of wireing issue. Its pretty hard to get a 12v to not run at all IMO. It also could have jumped a tooth on the IP
i appreciate all this info but honestly your speaking japanese here.. like i said im new to first gen cummins but ive been searching for one for a while now .. so this VE IP thing is what exactly?...and how would i check fuel pressure from the lift pump? and this fuell shut off, would it be just like my 6.0s reset button or is it something else? where would i look to find this? once again thanks for all the info

Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Diesel Wrench

I just seen your 3rd post. IM leaning towards wireing when I got my truck it would just die and leave me stranded and when you are stuck you a intersection you tend to work fast. So I start jiggling wires and I find a Junction wth 2 large wires coming from the battery going to 5 small wires and I jiggle that and it fires up. It is located by the horns on the fender well on the driver side. It gets coroded on the inside I fixed mine by choping the wires and putting the ringed connectors on the end of each wire and then I took a peice of 3/8 copper tubing and smashed it in a vice and bolted all the wires to the copper. Im 90% sure this is your problem. A cummins just doesnt stop they will eat them selfs alive before they die

Originally Posted by powerjoker
i appreciate all this info but honestly your speaking japanese here.. like i said im new to first gen cummins but ive been searching for one for a while now .. so this VE IP thing is what exactly?...and how would i check fuel pressure from the lift pump? and this fuell shut off, would it be just like my 6.0s reset button or is it something else? where would i look to find this? once again thanks for all the info

Well I've never been a boat anchor mechanic so I dont know anything about the 6.0power puker. IP is short for injection pump. First gens have a VE pump, 2nd gens have p7100 or p pumps, 24v has vp44, 3rd gens have a cp3. The fuel shut off is a little black thing on the bottom of the IP with 2 wires going to it, It is what is used to shut the truck off since diesels dont produce vacume like a gasser. It is a peice of junk that fails alot resulting in a truck that A. doesnt shut off or B. doesnt turn back on, Its a cheap part but the prefured method to fix it is a manual cable shut off running to the cab. I belive you can take the 2 wires off and put a jumper wire to bypass the solinoid or you can just tap on it to try to get it moving again. To check fuel presure you will need a fuel presure gauge either the tool style or you can get one mounted in the cab on a gauge piller I think its supposed to be around 8psi to 15psi. The answer to the reset thingy is no we dont have a crappy thing like that just remember 12v is all mechanical like a 6.9 or 7.3 idi if you are a ford guy so there is not a board controlling the motor

Last edited by 1993firstgennewbie; 01-22-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Diesel Fan

I just seen your 3rd post. IM leaning towards wireing when I got my truck it would just die and leave me stranded and when you are stuck you a intersection you tend to work fast. So I start jiggling wires and I find a Junction wth 2 large wires coming from the battery going to 5 small wires and I jiggle that and it fires up. It is located by the horns on the fender well on the driver side. It gets coroded on the inside I fixed mine by choping the wires and putting the ringed connectors on the end of each wire and then I took a peice of 3/8 copper tubing and smashed it in a vice and bolted all the wires to the copper. Im 90% sure this is your problem. A cummins just doesnt stop they will eat them selfs alive before they die

Well I've never been a boat anchor mechanic so I dont know anything about the 6.0power puker. IP is short for injection pump. First gens have a VE pump, 2nd gens have p7100 or p pumps, 24v has vp44, 3rd gens have a cp3. The fuel shut off is a little black thing on the bottom of the IP with 2 wires going to it, It is what is used to shut the truck off since diesels dont produce vacume like a gasser. It is a peice of junk that fails alot resulting in a truck that A. doesnt shut off or B. doesnt turn back on, Its a cheap part but the prefured method to fix it is a manual cable shut off running to the cab. I belive you can take the 2 wires off and put a jumper wire to bypass the solinoid or you can just tap on it to try to get it moving again. To check fuel presure you will need a fuel presure gauge either the tool style or you can get one mounted in the cab on a gauge piller I think its supposed to be around 8psi to 15psi. The answer to the reset thingy is no we dont have a crappy thing like that just remember 12v is all mechanical like a 6.9 or 7.3 idi if you are a ford guy so there is not a board controlling the motor

holy crap dude your boat anchor mechanic comment had me laughing my *** off for a good 10 minutes! nah im not a ford guy just got a good deal on a pretty nice truck honestly im more of a new duramax/alison guy or 1st gen cummins guy. i do like my powerjoke but i am getting sick of the un treated king ranch leather!! never thought id say this but i am constantly ordering bottles of conditioner from king ranch shop..i spend more time taking care of the dman leather than i do driving the truck.. right now i want something that i can drive through hell and back and still get some love from and i know the 12 valve cummins are bulletproof

Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Diesel Wrench

Well Im glad your not a die hard ford fan because a real ford fan boy would have insulted my mother and defended the 6.0 til he was blue in the face I have always been in love with that king ranch interior though just never realized it was so high maintance. And dont be alarmed when you drive the first gen its supposed to ride like that

Old 01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Well Im glad your not a die hard ford fan because a real ford fan boy would have insulted my mother and defended the 6.0 til he was blue in the face I have always been in love with that king ranch interior though just never realized it was so high maintance. And dont be alarmed when you drive the first gen its supposed to ride like that
oh yeah if you ever decide to go with a powerjoke for the king ranch interior better make sure you fork out the extra cash for a newer one with the treated leather and not the raw hide! the treated stuff is AWESOME!! not so much the raw garbage. and yeah i have driven some newish cummins and even those somebeeches are rough ridin rattle boxes i can only imagine a 1st gen! ! i plan on ditching the ford after i get this cummins running "Smoothly" and swap a overdrive trans in it to start off with.. i saw a modded one in a magazine about a year ago and since then ive been on the hunt and i want mine modded pretty close to how the magazine peoples did theirs.

Quick Reply: 91.5 cummins