1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Turbo/injectors, looking for opinions!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo/injectors, looking for opinions!!

My goal is better mpgs and more responsive. Right now I'm getting 18-20 mpgs mostly in town driving. I was looking at doing the hx35 upgrade but I've read guys see a drop in mpgs so I want to know what you guys think the best set up for me would be. I rarely haul anything, it's just my dd. I'm getting gauges ASAP but that's going to be awhile, after that its 366 spring and timing bump after that I'm unsure of what I want to do. As far as injectors I'd like to know what my options are, keep in mind I don't have much money to work with and that's why I'm asking for opinions (don't want to throw good money away on bad choices) thanks for any help!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's some good mileage! DDP injectors are the only ones I have seen maintain that type of mileage....they're not cheap though.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the interstate with BD 40hp sticks and a massaged pump driving nicely I saw 24mpg through a stock auto. Also stock turbo. I couldn't duplicate it, closest I've been was 22mpg, Im a construction worker and do about 600 miles a week of highway driving

Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Diesel Fan

What size ddp injectors? And what would I have to do support an injector upgrade as far as keeping good fuel pressure? If I drive all hwy at 65mph I have seen 23-24. I want more power without losing mpgs or possibly gaining mpgs but isn't that what everyone wants haha. I've read about guys having their injectors "flow honed" what is that and what is the benefit?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What GG said! Stock sticks, stock turbo, Propane injection and wmo will get you to 25+ mpg's.

I have 3 trucks, Diablo is my shiney black 625 horse hotrod, Smooth is my mint condition 93 Dually that is bone stock, and Mary is my 91 d350 dually cab and chassis flatbed with toolboxes/welder, my everyday driver.

Mary, has a DIY propane fogger, stock everything except 4" exhaust, cold air intake, and seats, I use 10% WMO, I get about 27MPG driving normally, really light on the go pedal, closer to 28-29, gotta get there fast and drive like hell...she drops to about 22-24.
A 30# bottle lasts me about 3 months and costs me about $200 to build....all over the counter stuff.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Diesel Fan

I've thought about WMO but don't know enough about it really. Am I better off keeping the h1c instead of getting an hx35 as far as for mpgs or is there a better option? And is there anything I can do to my stock injectors that would help or is it just a waste of time and money?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, its my experience, changing injectors won't really get you better fuel milage.... maybe run better or run more effecient.
If its MPG's your after, you gotta be more effecient with what you got. Do a good basic diesel tuneup, set things to stock. Now, if you got 250,000 on the injectors, never been changed, and run a quality fuel cleaner thru it on a regular basis and don't keep the filters all cleaned....injectors will probably help.
Clean all your filters, set your lash, check your pump timing, put slightly taller tires on to lower your rpms a little.....that all helps.
Cut down your wind resistance, air your tires up, make sure your rear is friction free, brakes aren't dragging and your not carrying around a 1000#'s of dead weight in the toolboxes or bed....
The crappy low sulfur fuel we have now.....doesn't lubricate as well....

Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Diesel Fan

Well mpgs would be a plus, I want to add power efficiently. I guess I didn't explain my goal very well. I'd like to hit 300-350ish HP without losing my 18-20 mpgs I'm getting now or gain a few mpgs if possible. I run 2 stroke oil in the summer and anti-gel/injector cleaner in the winter. The truck has 210,000 miles on it now and I have no idea if the injectors have ever been replaced