1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Pyro gauge probe infront of the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

I have my EGT probe installed on the exhaust manifold, "Pre-turbo". No worries about cracking. Plus, I have the exhaust manifold completely heat-wrapped, see my signature. I run roughly between 400-600* in the city (stop and go for traffic lights). On the highway, I run 600*ish empty. Towing my 28' 9200 lb travel trailer on a flat highway, I run roughly 700*ish to about 900*ish depending on wind conditions. Going up grades I can hit as high as 1100ish degrees, but right about then, my water injection system activates an helps keep EGTs in check.

The following users liked this post:
1993cummins (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

no you dont need to worry about low EGTs, but I would romp on it once and see how high it can get you should get up to 900*

Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got it up to 900 going up a large hill 4th gear pinned

Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993cummins
i got it up to 900 going up a large hill 4th gear pinned
Dude im not tring to be a *** but you need to slow down and read the forms! I started out not knowing anything and there is some great info on this form!! (A word of advice listen to BC847) You seem to listen to the wrong people!! For it to be the most accurate it needs to be pre turbo. Whatever shop gave you that info is a ameture shop!! we all ask questions as we go and learn!! slow down and read and learn!! On another note there is some bs advice on here also!!! lood luck!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by novapat
Dude im not tring to be a *** but you need to slow down and read the forms! I started out not knowing anything and there is some great info on this form!! (A word of advice listen to BC847) You seem to listen to the wrong people!! For it to be the most accurate it needs to be pre turbo. Whatever shop gave you that info is a ameture shop!! we all ask questions as we go and learn!! slow down and read and learn!! On another note there is some bs advice on here also!!! lood luck!!!
on the autometer instructions it said it was ok to put the probe where i did , and thanks ..... although they are called forums not forms :P haha , thanks man !

Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

You can put it there, on the manifold, after the turbo. But the most popular is on the manifold on 3/4 side of one end where they meet. It will read thats sides exhaust temperature. But 900 pinned on a hill sounds close. just keep an eye on things and when you cool your truck off wait till it gets around 300 and give it a couple of minutes so you dont heat out your seals.

I dont know who you have talked to about this but dont hesitate to ask questions but take your time and read thru some of it, and watch out who you talk to, there some guys who still full of excitement about their truck and have yet to learn the do's or donts.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RanchhandTCR
You can put it there, on the manifold, after the turbo. But the most popular is on the manifold on 3/4 side of one end where they meet. It will read thats sides exhaust temperature. But 900 pinned on a hill sounds close. just keep an eye on things and when you cool your truck off wait till it gets around 300 and give it a couple of minutes so you dont heat out your seals.

I dont know who you have talked to about this but dont hesitate to ask questions but take your time and read thru some of it, and watch out who you talk to, there some guys who still full of excitement about their truck and have yet to learn the do's or donts.
almost as soon as im at an idle it drops to 300 , and when im driving its around 4 or 5 , and pinned at 6 around town ., probly 100 degreees off ?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993cummins
on the autometer instructions it said it was ok to put the probe where i did , and thanks ..... although they are called forums not forms :P haha , thanks man !
okay smart *** have fun with all your lame questions then. (man you have been asking them) LOL

Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Installing your EGT probe Pre-turbo will get you the most accurate exhaust temps. Post-turbo will show temps up to a couple hundred degrees lower than actual pre-turbo temps. That could save you from cooking your pistons or turbo. THis could also help adjust driving habits accordingly. Knowatamean?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd
Installing your EGT probe Pre-turbo will get you the most accurate exhaust temps. Post-turbo will show temps up to a couple hundred degrees lower than actual pre-turbo temps. That could save you from cooking your pistons or turbo. THis could also help adjust driving habits accordingly. Knowatamean?
so you think when i am actually at 300 its is 4 or 5 ? , i guess i wont let it go over 1000 to be safe

Quick Reply: Pyro gauge probe infront of the turbo