1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

need help asap!!! have to bleed it every time i start it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea but not on a 1st gen Cummins apparently the only thing that causes a 1st gen to loose prime is the lift pump
Or sucking air.....

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

So then, can you please explain how air can get into the system from the return side?

A old sticky faulty injector can cause it, though its very very
unusual....atmospheric pressure
is more than 0, but it can happen. If a injector sticks open for any length of time AFTER POPOFF OCCURS, you can get air.
If air can get into injector lines, why not the returns? Is there some magical law that keeps it safe?

Last edited by Screamin' Metal; 01-15-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I must have an odd ball 12V mine has a Tee in the return line from the injectors and where does that other line on the Tee go, ahh yeah the injection pump.
Must be some after market hot up thingy.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Motaxraca33, by chance are you keeping an eye on your engine oil level? If it is rising there is a chance you have a bad seal on the input shaft. Not real familiar with this seal but if it leaks fuel it could leak air back into the pump.

Last edited by blackduck; 01-15-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by blackduck
Well I must have an odd ball 12V mine has a Tee in the return line from the injectors and where does that other line on the Tee go, ahh yeah the injection pump.
Must be some after market hot up thingy.
Maybe you should put a check valve in there, then!

Must be some gravity/suction drain-back thing.

Better yet, you and Screamin Metal boy should team up and submit a fuel system design change to Cummins. Must be some kind of miracle any of them are running at all with this egregious flaw in the fuel return line.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well who had razor blades for breakfast then? Very sharp today.
Just pointing out that air does NOT have to flow back past the injectors to get to the injection pump as per the earlier post it has direct access via the bleed line.
Having seen many "impossible" things happen in the mechanical world any thing is possible.
Just trying to give some constructive help to a man in need, may be a bit of a stretch but it may help. Any constructive input?

Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

There's several instances were you can suck air at the return....just go ahead though and believe what you want to believe....it can even happen to a Cummins....Been there, Done that....

Better yet, you and Screamin Metal boy should team up and submit a fuel system design change to Cummins. Must be some kind of miracle any of them are running at all with this egregious flaw in the fuel return line.

How did you know I was a Powertrain Engineer at Dodge?

Last edited by Screamin' Metal; 01-16-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

NP,
So what flaw in the Cummins design were you re-engineering when you added a check valve in the delivery line? Fuel can only flow back when something (AIR?) takes it's place. So where was the air coming from in your case?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Can we get back to the OP's truck

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by tiremann9669
Can we get back to the OP's truck
Great idea. Too bad we have to waste time barking up the wrong tree. Just to clarify, surely nobody thinks the pump return is an open drain do they? Chime right in now if you still believe a single word about the return should have ever been uttered.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys... I'm sitting here in the hospital kind of drugged up on pain meds confused at what I'm reading! Lol should I put a check valve in the return line just after the "T"? I have rubber hose there anyways. A local shop has a one way flow check valve for 42 bucks... Would that eliminate any possible drain back and losing prime on the return side? Just to keep fuel at the injectors so hopefully it starts up every time! And I found a tiny leak at one of the compression fittings where i connected the lines together... It didn't start up again after sitting overnight, that's when I found the leak.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Diesel Bomber

Just curious, How did we get from fuel system troubleshooting to drugged up in the hospital?

Quick Reply: need help asap!!! have to bleed it every time i start it!!!