1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

smoke and breaking up

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke and breaking up

I hope someone might have an idea of whats going on here.. I started noticing that the last couple of weeks my truck would sputter before shutting it off... Then it got to the point it would not shut off....So before I could yake the fuel solenoid to confirm it was this. I was at work on my pitiful 1/2 hr lunch break. I didnt have enough time to get to the solenoid. I ended up turning the power screw a little each way to see if maybe I had it turned up too high and not lettting it shut down. It obviously wasnt that. The fuel solenoid had a small piece of rubber gone off the plunger. So now I have a new problem. Since I "played" with the pump that day,,It runs fine at idle and mid to high RPMs.. From idle in park,,if I start to throttle up it starts smoking real bad and breaking up until I hit mid throttle and then it revs up and the smoke clears and it runs smooth until I let it back to idle and the process starts all over again. Everything was good until I touched the power screw. Now either way I turn it, this smoking and breaking up problem is still there. I dont think the small piece of rubber somewhere is causing this.Because I have been driving it for weeks like this with it not shutting off with the key .Everything was fine until I touched it...I have everything back in the same spots and it just doesnt change. Im out of ideas at this point. Just to let yous know,,Ive checked the turbo,Fuel pin,and lines. All is good. Thanks Mike

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 01-05-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was having a miss and sputter going on, turned out to be a broken spring and plunger in the pump head. Missing can also be not enough pump timing. I've done both things I mentioned but haven't had a shut down issue.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It's you fuel shutoff solenoid. With stock injectors and a turned up fuel screw the back pressure from more fuel than the injectors can push out will blow the plunger tip off. Mine is gutted with a pull cable. You can try this link to help try and fix it.
Fix your fuel cut-off solenoid - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
This link is a pull cable install.
Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
I like the pull cable since I can start the truck and pull the key out and lock the doors while it warms up.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I think you have missed what I have said... I know why my solenoid is bad.. I have taken the plunger out and am putting the cable on it. So as of now there is no plunger in there. The timing has been in the same spot as its been in since I built the engine and have been running it 6 months now. If it wasnt for the plunger going bad, everything would have been running perfect as it has been because I would had no reason to touch anything. I turned the power screw about a 1/4 turn each way from where I had it before I pulled the solenoid. It is in the same spot as when I built it. The only thing that has changed is its smoking up to mid throttle and breaking up a little after touching it. So why if everything is back to where its been for the last 6 months, is it doing this.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The little piece missing from the plunger could have lodged somewhere down the line and restricted flow. that's about all I can think of

Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thats what Im hoping didnt happen.. The reason that Im kinda thinking it isnt..Is that I was driving with the shut off problem for almost a month and the truck ran fine....It was only until I touched the power screw this all happened to run weird. Id really hate to pull the fuel system apart and not find the piece of rubber doing anything to make it run like this. I did notice that it really doesnt smoke when Im driving and at cruising speed like around 40 or so,I can kinda feel the breaking up, Like its surging a little when giving just enough pedal to keep cruising....I dont know

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 01-06-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

The missing plug from the plunger is most likely in one of the delivery-valves. As such, same could be screwing with the way the DV works.

Just take them apart and remove the plug of rubber. No pump removal required.

No big whoop.

Last edited by BC847; 01-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

That is probably your problem. It happened when you pulled your solenoid off. Do what BC847 said. Pretty simple

Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

"The missing plug from the plunger is most likely in one of the delivery-valves. As such, same could be screwing with the way the DV works."

Ok Im assuming the delivery valves are the 6 that the lines screw to on the back of the pump??

"That is probably your problem. It happened when you pulled your solenoid off"

As for this...I created this problem before I pulled the solenoid by touching my power screw and taking out my fuel pin and reinstalling it,,,And the fuel pin is in correctly, Ive checked it 3 times...

See after I touched things it ran like this.. I drove the truck home and then 2 weeks later after sitting and the holidays,, I pulled the solenoid and confirmed the plunger had pieces missing.. At this point the solenoid problem was the only the only one until I screwed with things....Now the solenoid is gutted, I just have to fix this smoking and breaking up and ill be good to go.

And thanks for you guys trying to help me ..Im going to work on it more today as soon as the temp comes up out side..

Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I would still check your DVs.i would about bet that's your problem is