1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

smoke and breaking up

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I obviously have something off....I might just have to take it apart again. I had the key way on the shaft at 12:00 then there was that gold flying sauser thing inside that had a chrome tiny dowl pin,which I set at 12,which at the same time positioned the shaft that plugs into the divertor housing,since that only goes on 1 way. If I could find an exact step by step reassembly somewhere, Id be able to look at it and determine if I put one of the timed pieces in wrong..I could have the internals 180* out. which assuming it would run,,would make it mis/run/smoke I guess???

Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could get me to telling tall stories here. Not having been inside one of these particular units I cannot help you here. The only parts schematics I have are not that clear on assembly.
Frustrating to say the least.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Have you got the timing indicator? Timing on these things are alot more critical than a car distributor, because your putting in exactly what that pumps says its gonna put in.
I suggest you roll her on #1TDC, retime your pump. Did you put all new gaskets inside the pump???
Put all your pump settings back stock (smoke screw, turn pin back stock location, yada, yada, yada....) so you'll have a baseline. OR, as close to stock as your previous mods will let you. Then set your valves, just to be on the safe side.
Get her to startup, then run, then put things the way YOU want.
I'll dig around and see if I have a Cummins PDF on assembly for the VE.....

Here ya go, this should help ya....How to tear down and reassemble a VE....and get it all timed....

Gen 1 Cummins Bosch VE rotary pump teardown.

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...n-diagram.html

http://rotordesign.com/1993cummins

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...operation.html

"How-To" injector pump timing first gen 12V VE44 pump - Bombed Cummins - Modified Cummins Diesel and Cummins Swap forum

Last edited by Screamin' Metal; 01-20-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Hey Screamin ,,Thanks , I took the pump out AGAIN and the dam sleeve for the KSB was stuck again. I took it all apart for tonight.. I had to stop as Im frying my brain and am burned out with this for today. I will look over what you put up and will continue with this during the week. Also thanks to everyone else for the input as well..I WILL figure this out..I built the dam engine and rebuilt the injection pump. And it ran perfect until the fuel solenoid problem. As soon as I get this back together and good I will post it up..Thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i dont know if this could be the cause but i had a problem like this and it was a bad lift pump, same symptoms breaking up and blue smoke and i could not put the pedal to the floor while driving it would missfire pop backfire and blow blue smoke.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

The tolerances inside these pumps are extremely close and they are super precision. If you've never taken one all the way down before...the screwup potential is way on up there. These VE's didn't have a life expectantency of about 160,000 miles....and that was with the good diesel, not this low sulphur crap out now that doesn't lube....

Old 02-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok guys...I havent been on for a while because I just havent worked on the truck....Heres whats been up.....When I took #2 injector apart I put the washer with the 2 pins in upside down,Im assuming making the injector stay open,which I guess would be why it would be smoking non stop. Fixed that and then went through the other 5 and found nothing in them. So I put em all back in. So I took apart the IP like I said last. Found ths KSB stuck and the regulator for it jammed up also...So to skip to the end,I put the IP together today making sure it was spotless. Got my power screw as close to where I had it. I crushed half the key way on the pump for the timing gear on the last install...Fixed that..Now I know my idle settings are off along with maybe my indexing for the throttle shaft. I still cant get it to run...SO I hit it with starting fluid while my wife cranks it. Worked last time when It was smoking non stop cause of the injector. It starts up revs up HIGH then stalls out. So I play with the power screw and idle..I cant get it started on its own,and with the starting fluid it revs then dies once its on its own. I installed a fuel valve from Genos for my fuel pressure gauge to hook to..Im getting around 8psi or so... Im just about DONE. I dont know what else to do..Im about to buy another IP and put my fuel pin,spring, and timing advance into that one...Im out of ideas here...

Last edited by MudDrivermike; 02-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I finally fixed it...Between a combination of my throttle being indexed wrong and my power screw way out ,I reset all of that and now its back to normal..I ran a manual cable for the shut down lever on the side of the injection pump, So no more solenoids to go bad...Its been a real pain in the *** with this up until now. So thanks everyone that has helped me with this issue...

Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Glad you got it sorted
Cheers Steve