1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

What 12v 6bt Cummins should I put in my Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 12v 6bt Cummins should I put in my Chevy

Hello, im going to be doing a Chevy cummins swap and I would really like to put a 12v 6bt in it. Its going to be an automatic 4x4. I just dont know which 12v i should be looking to get. I would like one with the most horse power which ever year put out. Preferably in the 200hp range, stock? I will do further upgrades down the road but I would like the best as of now.

Also for automatic transmissions, which would hold up the best behind the Cummins?

How much do you think this would run me? I'd like to spend atleast around $2500 tops for the motor and trans setup but I will pay more if i have to (just save the cash up).

What would be everything i should consider doing with the drive train. I know im going to upgrade the axles to a 14bolt FF rear, and a Dana 60 font. Anything else i should be worried about?

My truck is a 85 k10 long box. I know I will have to modify the frame but Im ok with that, have some ideas brew'n in my head:] Know any good threads that will give me any more ideas without boxing the Whole frame?

I apologize for all the questions, Im new to this site and just want to make sure things can work out in my favor.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited by ShadowchevyC; 11-12-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Greetings and welcome to DB! First off, $2,500 is just the tip of the iceburg. That will get you started, but you will need about twice that for your project. IIRC, the 1998 cummins produced about 215ish hp, and about 440 lbft tq. The 89 6bt produced 160 hp and close to, if not over 400 lbft tq..
Modifying the frame is mandatory as the engine alone weighs a little under 1000 lbs ...w/o trans. The 47re trans can be rather stout if built correctly. I have a couple of buddies that are weekend warriors and run their 12v hard on the strip and have had no issues with their transmissions, but these guys put some green into them.
A question I should have asked first is, What are your intentions for your truck? Daily driver, weekend warrior, pull sled, lifted high w/ big tires, rock crawlling.....?
Prepare yourself as there is alot of knowledge and experience in this forum site, so advice and great ideas should be pouring in.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply!

Which one is least expensive? I feel the 89 would be cheaper but to get the horse power up to be like the 98 I'd probably better off just going with that one because the amount of money I would put in the 89 I could of had the 98 for just as much, correct?

But my plan with the truck is to be able to haul if I have to, I don't really have anything that is in need for a turbo diesel, but I like to have that extra oomph. I want it to go pretty quick, and if I decided to go up a hill or 2 it'll do the job. But most of all I really admire diesel power

I'm also curious how the wiring would be? I hear they are super simple but never got a chance to check it out..

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

160 hp version would likely be cheaper, but that also depends on the mileage and condition of it,as I think it would be with any 12v. But, with a few mods, it can be a stout little motor for not alot of money. Then again, horsepower has a direct relation to expense. How much power you wanna get out of it? I dont have much experience with
12v engines, but I know there's others on this forum with lots of experience and can give you info for mods on the cheap. Is this your first diesel? You will like the power, reliability, and great fuel economy. Those motors are torque monsters for sure. Wiring is super simple for those old 12v's. Im sure others will chime in with that info.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Id look for a 94 to 98 the 98 makes more power but is kind of a pain to get parts for since its alf year only and some of the parts are different like the valve covers and gaskets, and the IP is differnent as well but it is still a p7100

Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowchevyC
Hello, im going to be doing a Chevy cummins swap and I would really like to put a 12v 6bt in it. Its going to be an automatic 4x4. I just dont know which 12v i should be looking to get. I would like one with the most horse power which ever year put out. Preferably in the 200hp range, stock? I will do further upgrades down the road but I would like the best as of now.

Also for automatic transmissions, which would hold up the best behind the Cummins?

How much do you think this would run me? I'd like to spend atleast around $2500 tops for the motor and trans setup but I will pay more if i have to (just save the cash up).

What would be everything i should consider doing with the drive train. I know im going to upgrade the axles to a 14bolt FF rear, and a Dana 60 font. Anything else i should be worried about?

My truck is a 85 k10 long box. I know I will have to modify the frame but Im ok with that, have some ideas brew'n in my head:] Know any good threads that will give me any more ideas without boxing the Whole frame?

I apologize for all the questions, Im new to this site and just want to make sure things can work out in my favor.

Thanks,
Sean
check autoworld conversions! They were great people to deal with when i did mine. Alittle about mine its a 89 suburban 4x4 dana 60front 14ff rear th400 373 gears with a gear vendor. I went with 1st gen cummins easy to wire you just use a ur chevy sending units (oil / temp) and go to the hardware store for the adapters. i used the autoworld converstions alt bracket and cross member set up. you can use the factory fan and the the throtle leankage will hook right up and so will the power sterring hoses on the first gen. I just built a new engine just for the hell of it 2 months ago. did minor port work on the head 60# springs hamilton can ddp 80-100 injects .020 bore with the pump turned up some and 60mm turbo upgrade with 4 inch ex. I had m and h make me a duel ram manifold and it runs great. I have no intercooler but run water meth injection. Going to a cummins was the best thing i ever did!! is all i can say is some people say the first gens dont compare to the 24 valves , but a friend of mine has a 04 4x4 longbed with the bullydog prog. and i beat the dogshit out of his truck this weekend when we were both towing out flat beds with 4 quads up to the moutains this weekend. I need to try to figure out how to post pics of the job now its done!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

VE pump style 6BT's are easier to mod to me and you get somewhere quicker with them, IMO. I dunno though, getting P-Pumped is nice though.