1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Leaky injection pump... Opinions, please...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leaky injection pump... Opinions, please...

Howdy boys and girls-

Ruined a perfectly good day of deer hunting by having a blow out, so to speak. The good news is that I know that my low fuel light works, the bad news is that I blew $80 worth of diesel out of the truck. Looking under the hood, I have a major leak at the pump, which has a 3200 spring, mild tweaking, and has run fine until today. The down side is that I didn't get a chance to see where the leak was coming from. I had it towed to a local general repair shop that I trusted (more on that, later) and I am looking for opinions on where I may stand with regards to the pump. What are the symptoms of pump failure? I assume when they fail, the truck doesn't run? Stupid question, but still, I never had an IP go out on me. It ran fine until it ran out of fuel. No issues there. The damn thing is just leaking like a sieve. My money is on a bad o-ring, not a pump issue but I can't verify that. The pump is far from new, and I am wondering whether to replace, reseal, rebuild or what? I am looking for ya'lls opinions so I can get it back on the road. (The engine is at about 180K) If I go rebuilt, anybody here have an experience to recommend one of our sponsors?

Now... about the shop... How, if the truck is out of diesel, can the shop call me an hour after the truck gets there and tell me with certainty its the IP and a replacement for a smooth $1500 plus labor and how, with that side of the block soaked in diesel, can the bastards tell me I have a valve cover leak? (I don't) I know the answer, but I gotta vent about THAT silly s**t. Luckily, they priced the valve cover replacement at just over four hundred. Worst part is, I really like these guys, and they do great work... just don't think they are going to be doing a lot of work for me.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It could be the power screw nut is loose and the power screw nut is leaking, an o ring would fix that easy, you could do it, crack the injector lines loose at the injectors after you put diesel in it and it should crank right up, then retighten the lines, if that is not it, my money is on the rectangle o ring that is under the AFC housing that was taken off to do the governor spring, mine was nearly flat when I did mine, don't know where you get one, maybe at the Dodge dealer, its kind of tough. Replace it same thing, if you have not already restarted the engine, same way, put diesel in the tank, etc. If that's not it. Put diesel in the tank and get somebody to turn it over the very first step and find out where its really leaking from, it could be the pump head and you better rebuild it if that's it, its real common for that to happen too. ON my brother!